Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After transfer from vista to xp, image dimension changes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mapere

Mapere

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:10 AM

Hello,

Recently I bought an old Riso printer and connected it with a usb to parrallel cable to a laptop running on XP.

My current system, laptop on Vista, won't work with it since there are no up-to-date printer drivers available for post-XP operating systems.

A testprint last week worked out smoothly.

This week, however, XP won't open PDF or JPEG files properly.

The dimensions of the images, once opened, are different from the original: some images are cropped more than 5cm on all sides, others are compressed vertically, e.g. a square becomes a lying rectangle.

These files also fail to be sent to the printer.

Since the succesful testprint last week I can't imagine what could have changed in the set-up or configuration.

No updates were added in either Vista or XP.

Transferring files from one to the other laptop is done with the same usb sticks used for the testprint and they haven't been used in the period between testprint and failprint.

I have tested the usb connections in a couple different combinations using different ports, even disconnected the printer before plugging in the usb drives, but he results remain the same.

The laptop connected to the printer was an old one from a friend and has had several changes of operating systems. The last change was this downgrade from Windows 7 to Windows XP to only carry out these print jobs.

Besides Adobe Reader X, the printer driver and a printer program nothing has been installed on this computer and this was installed before the testprint.

On the Vista laptop nothing seems to be wrong with any of the files. I can view and work with them (e.g. Photoshop) like I've always done before.

I am new here and did some research before posting, but I'm not a tech geek nor native English speaker and might miss out on specific vocabulary to detect this problem.

I'd greatly appreciate any help on this one.

Thanks,

JC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mapere

Mapere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:15 AM

Vista laptop = Dell Inspiron

XP = Toshiba Satellite

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:34 AM

FWIW:   Since it's unlikely that the actual file size changed (IMO), the seeming difference in size must relate to visual/display capability...the monitor/screen used by each system.

I suppose that's why there is monitor-tweaking done by some who work with graphics heavily.

Louis

#4 Mapere

Mapere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

Hi Louis, thanks for your reply.

I've been thinking this way too and have been quickly checking before on how to download and install drivers for other screenresolutions/modes.

This XP has only 800x600 and 1024x768 available.

But I've aborted that quest since some images are being cropped instead of just compressed vertically.

This didn't make sense to me.

JC

#5 Mapere

Mapere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

And also this testprint came out without being cropped or compressed.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

Sorry...but it's beyond my ken, doesn't make sense to me either unless I just wild-guess that the graphics drivers or monitor are flaking out.

Louis

#7 Mapere

Mapere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

Hi Louis,

Installing new graphic drivers in the end did the trick.

It even solved the cropping issue.

Thanks a lot!

JC

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

:thumbup2: , nice work...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users