Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with outlook .pst?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pauloorabe

pauloorabe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:08 AM

Please help.

I have office 2007 installed, Vista Home. I can open my outlook fine but when I try to open any email then the Outlook stop working, it does not respond anymore. I have to close it using the task manager.

Is it my .pst corrupted? If so, where can I find it, where is this misterious file located? Also, where is located the pst file repair?

I have been searching for them since 3 days ago. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:28 AM

First, you should try to repair Outlook itself. Go to Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall a program. Find Office in the list of programs, click, then select the Change or Repair option that will appear in the menu bar at the top of the list.

If you suspect the pst file is corrupt, you can run the scanpst.exe tool. Since you are running Office 2007, it will be located either in the C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12 folder, if you are running 64-bit Vista, or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12, if you have 32-bit Windows. Locate the scanpst.exe file and double-click it. To find your pst file, go C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

Follow the steps here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/272227

If that doesn't repair it, you will probably have to purchase third-party software to try and recover it.

#3 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:12 AM

Check the Event Viewer -> Applications for any Errors that show relating to Outlook. Also, make sure all updates for Office are installed. There are a few known problems with certain versions of Outlook and special conditions in some emails that have been patched in the last year alone. There may even be a third-party COM extension in Outlook causing an issue, that can be fairly common and would show in Event Viewer; sometimes an antivirus will add a plugin that can have compatibility issues.

*Oops, sorry for resurrecting old topic, phone-version stated this topic was new content for some reason...

Edited by Demonslay335, 04 January 2016 - 01:14 AM.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users