Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PLEASE HELP ME! Strange File in All Files Folder!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cloud_strife95

cloud_strife95

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:22 AM

It's a white file called ps.pid and I deleted it before and I connected my phone to my computer and it appeared there even though I deleted it and I deleted it from the computer. then when I looked at my phone several hours later its there again
can anyone tell me what it is?

I've already done a factory reset like I don't know how many times and it's still there

It appeared after I went to a website that I quickly backed out of

Please help me. Avast and 360 say I'm clean but I don't know what it is

It's called qs.pid . Please help.

Edit: Moved topic from Cell Phones to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

What operating system is your phone so that we can move this topic to the right forum.

a pid file extension usually is used for a process ID. So that plugins and api's can interact with applications. But that is a general descriptor. If we know the OS involved we can be more specific.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 cloud_strife95

cloud_strife95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

What operating system is your phone so that we can move this topic to the right forum.

a pid file extension usually is used for a process ID. So that plugins and api's can interact with applications. But that is a general descriptor. If we know the OS involved we can be more specific.

It's os version is  4.4.4 is that what you mean?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:57 PM

Apple ios or Android? But with 4.4.4 I'm going to lean heavily that it's Android KitKat?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 cloud_strife95

cloud_strife95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

Apple ios or Android? But with 4.4.4 I'm going to lean heavily that it's Android KitKat?

It's an android, samsung galaxy 4

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:33 PM

So in your initial topic you say you have a file. But you mention two different file names.

First sentence it's ps.pid

Last sentence it's qs.pid

Which is the right file name?

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 cloud_strife95

cloud_strife95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

So in your initial topic you say you have a file. But you mention two different file names.

First sentence it's ps.pid

Last sentence it's qs.pid

Which is the right file name?

Whoops I'm so sorry

The file name is qs.pid

Edited by cloud_strife95, 19 July 2015 - 09:54 PM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:53 PM

Every Android resource I have so far says the file is 5 bytes in size and related to an application/octet-stream. But not what application/octet-stream. Nor am I able to determine if it's a required file. Neither can I determine if it's malicious in any way.

But I have found 3-4 posts asking this same exact question as far back as Mar 2014 with no definitive answer.

At this point I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately.

EDIT: But every post mentioning the file was a Samsung. So there is that connection.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 cloud_strife95

cloud_strife95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:57 PM

Well darn. I'm so scared it might be a virus especially since after I plugged it on my computer, my computer went a bit crazy but I think its cause I didn't let my computer load properly and afterwards I scanned my computer with MBAM, Adware Cleaner, TDSSKIller, and Hitman Pro and they all said I was clean. But I mean I'm  still worried.

When it came back recently I renamed the file Iwillkillyou.pid lol and since then it hasn't popped back. I don't know if that means anything?

#10 cloud_strife95

cloud_strife95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:02 PM

Every Android resource I have so far says the file is 5 bytes in size and related to an application/octet-stream. But not what application/octet-stream. Nor am I able to determine if it's a required file. Neither can I determine if it's malicious in any way.

But I have found 3-4 posts asking this same exact question as far back as Mar 2014 with no definitive answer.

At this point I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately.

EDIT: But every post mentioning the file was a Samsung. So there is that connection.

My sister has the same phone and she doesn't have the file at all.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:54 PM

I very very highly doubt that a tiny Android/Linux file would have any affect on a windows computer.

Okay how many billions of Samsungs are there? And I found only 4 topics, with no answers. So the likelihood that your sister has the exact same issue as you? I would have been quite surprised if she had the file.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users