Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does my desktop say 'This copy of Windows is not genuine (Build 7601)?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bradbradbrad

bradbradbrad

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

I also get pop ups that say "you may be a victim of counterfit software" (oxc004f004).

a couple weeks ago I bought a windows 7 installation disk from amazon because i couldn't fix a BSOD and I used my windows license key to activate it, so how can it not be valid?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:23 AM

Where did you get the Windows OS product key are you using the Windows OS product key more then one computer. 

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

If you bought a licensed version of Win 7, the accompanying key on that version is the one that should be used to activate.

Louis

#4 bradbradbrad

bradbradbrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

i used the key on the back of m pc,

#5 kidd16

kidd16

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

I also get pop ups that say "you may be a victim of counterfit software" (oxc004f004).

a couple weeks ago I bought a windows 7 installation disk from amazon because i couldn't fix a BSOD and I used my windows license key to activate it, so how can it not be valid?

What happends is that your computer os copy is not registured with Microsoft.That can happen if you had someone service your computer and they loaded with a copy that was not purchased for that computer. under your computer you have a product key # and when you buy a Operation system and put in on your computer, you have to number on your computer along with the product key to make the copy non conterfit. That way when ever your computer contacts Microsoft your IP address is checked and it you have not registured a copy that you purchased then it's couterfit software.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

If the key you used was from a sticker attached to the computer in question then it is an OEM:COA key and CAN NOT be activated online against MS servers. Attempting to do so will generate an invalid key error.

OEM:COA keys require OFFLINE activation requiring phoning MS's automated toll free number in order to complete the activation process.

To use OEM:COA key offline activation type slui.exe 4 + enter into the Search dialogue box of the Start Menu.

Posted Image

#7 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:12 AM

Hello,

• Download MGADiag (by Microsoft) from the link found below:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
  • Run the tool by double-clicking on the file. Press Continue when prompted
  • When it has finished, press Copy then Paste (Ctrl+V) this into your next post please

Please also mention what version of windows is mention on your COA sticker (if you have one) but don't post the key.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users