Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus deleted all programs from c drive?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 JJ1233

JJ1233

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

Hi, just signed up here cause i really have no clue of how to fix it properly.

I was just browsing the Internet when I decided to open Skype, instead of Skype it simply says that this shortcut application is not found. I quickly tried another few programs which came up with the same thing. I checked my program files folder and realised that all the programs that are not a part of windows are somehow uninstalled(mods for games are still left alone, game saves are still there).

After restarting, somehow my copy of windows 7 is not genuine and my keyboard is disabled(typing this on my ipad btw). I have just ran a virus scan last week with malware bytes and got no detections and have not installed anything new after that. I don't really know how to fix it since I cannot type anything on my pc.(pretty sure the keyboard still works as the I can still access the bios with the keyboard)

I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

G'day JJ1233, and Welcome to BC.

Are you able to access Safe Mode ?

Immediately after the computer is powered on or restarted (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key in 1 second intervals.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 JJ1233

JJ1233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:59 PM

Hi Condobloke thanks for helping

I can still access safe mode, tried it but the keyboard is still disabled.

Edited by JJ1233, 17 July 2015 - 11:59 PM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:08 AM

Is this a laptop or a tower/...?....

just so we can rule out the obvious...can you attach another keyboard....or try yours on another pc ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 JJ1233

JJ1233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:13 AM

I'm pretty sure the keyboard works cause I can still use it to select options on the bios, I booted into safe mode just then to find that it somehow disabled my mouse too ._.

Oh and it's a tower sorry

Edit: in windows repair at boot it reads:

Status 0xc000000f

Info: The boot selection failed be ause a required device is inaccessible

Edited by JJ1233, 18 July 2015 - 12:17 AM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:16 AM

ok. This requires the attention with more smarts than myself....I will report your pc as being unbootable.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 JJ1233

JJ1233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:18 AM

Thank you very much

And yea my pc is now unbootable, sadly I don't have the installation disk

Edited by JJ1233, 18 July 2015 - 12:21 AM.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:43 AM

Hello,

I've moved your  topic to the BSOD etc. forum.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

Try this:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flash drive into the infected PC.

• If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
  • Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
    To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
  • Startup Repair
  • System Restore
  • Windows Complete PC Restore
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
  • Command Prompt
  • Select Command Prompt

Once in the Command Prompt:
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

Moved from Crashes/BSOD forum to Malware Removal Logs forum.

Louis

#11 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 38,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:43 AM

Greetings JJ1233 and :welcome: to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.

My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.

If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that.

===================================================

Ground Rules:
  • First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. :)
  • Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.
  • Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.
  • Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me.
  • When you post your reply, use the Replytopic.jpg button instead.
  • In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the Followtopic.jpg button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.
  • If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.
  • When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.
  • I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.
  • Now let's get started :thumbup2:

Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.

Thank you for your patience thus far. Sorry you have been bounced around a bit but as your circumstances changed so has the need to change you to a different Forum. I am going to ask you to take the steps JSntgRvr posted and will post them again.

Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool

--------------------

For this step you will need a USB flash drive and start on a clean computer.
  • From a working computer please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive. You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC and follow the 2 step process below to enter the System Recovery Options using one of the three options listed, then running Farbar's Recover Scan Tool
----------

Entering into the System Recovery Options

Option #1

To enter System Recovery Options in Windows 8:Option #2

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
Option #3

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next
----------

Running Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool in System Recovery
  • Once you are in the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in Notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select Computer and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    • Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste the information rather than send an attachment. :thumbsup2:
  • FRST log

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#12 JJ1233

JJ1233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:07 AM

Sorry for not replying, thanks everyone for the help but ive managed to fix it myself by using an old windows 7 hard drive and then formatting the problem one.

again thanks for the suggestions

#13 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 38,182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for letting us know.
Gary

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#14 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 38,182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users