Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with North-Bridge Temperature Issues!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SilverMist69

SilverMist69

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

Okay so I am having a Problem with Temperatures in my current system and I am wondering if this has anything to do with the Internal Graphics with Shared System memory or if I just have a bad Mobo? Granted the Mobo does not have an Actual North-bridge Fan instead it has Heat-sink only with NB Header for intake case fan which I found very strange. My problem is this during normal system loads my average temps are as follows:

CPU 85~F, System 75~F, North-bridge 104-111~F,

and during Heavy System loads such as video editing and or hard Gaming the temps jump to around:

CPU 95~F, System 85~F, North-bridge 120-140~F,

Why is my North-bridge running so Screaming Hot at all times? Is this because of the internal Graphics or because of not having an Actual North-bridge fan?

This system is using Air Cooling only! However I feel these temps on North-bridge seem way to high to be considered normal.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated and system has NO Overclocking enabled whatsoever!!

System Specs:

CPU:
AMD Phenom II x4 B55 3.2Ghz (Core Unlocked AMD Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition 3.2Ghz)

GPU:
1x AMD Radeon HD 4250 256MB System Shared (IGP) On-board Graphics w/ 1x Nvidia GeForce 8500GT 256MB PCIe Dedicated Secondary for Converting Videos

RAM:
8GB = 2GBx2 Mushkin Enhanced PC3 1333Mhz + 2GBx2 Super Talent XMP PC3 1067Mhz Both Sets Clocked to 1067Mhz

Motherboard:
Foxconn A88GMV

Cooling:
Air

Primary Drive:
HDD 2.5 Inch Toshiba 2x 500GB Drives in Raid 0 Configuration as 1TB Primary OS Drive

Secondary Drive:
HDD 2.5 Inch Toshiba 2x 1.5TB Drives in Raid 0 Configuration as 3TB MultiMedia Storage

Optical Drive:
Philips SATA DVD/R/RW/DL Optical Drive

Sound Card:
On-board Realtek HD Audio

Power Supply:
Lite-On 350 Watt From an old Hewlett Packard Server

Case:
Dell Dimension 2400 Mini ATX Mini Tower

Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit

Primary Display:
42 Inch LG HDTV 1080P 60Hz

Secondary Display:
WDE LCM 17v2 17 Inch HD-Monitor 720P 75Hz

Mouse:
Logitech M305

Mouse Pad:
Whatever I can find to use as a Mouse Pad becomes my Mouse Pad

Keyboard:
Hewlett Packard Generic Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard circa Windows XP Era

Headset:
C-Media USB Headset w/Built in Audio Controller

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:04 PM

well, onboard chipsets do run a bit hotter, but if I were to take a guess, in your case its likely a combination of a underpowered PSU combined with a tiny case. The PSU, being old is probably just barely enough to run the system so its running hotter then normal, and combine that with that small dell case which are notorious for having poor cooling, equals no air movement over the north bridge. I would upgrade the PSU and/or the case. Since you dont have a dedicated card, you probably dont need to go excessive with the PSU-even a modern name brand 350-400 watt PSU would do it. Adding a dedicated graphics card would help it run cooler to, but agian, id get a bigger case and a bigger PSU before adding a dedicated card, most cards on the market today need at least a 450-500 watt PSU.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 SilverMist69

SilverMist69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:14 AM

Ok thank you very much I appreciate the information :) And I will deffinately upgrade both the case and power supply as soon as possible. Again thank you for your help! :)

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

no problem, if that doesnt solve your issue, feel free to come back :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users