Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

about Recovery Partition/Recovery methods - Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Newton51

Newton51

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

Hello,

I have a Lenovo laptop running Windows 7 Professional and I need to somehow use system recover to sort out the multiple problems. The OS was installed when it was new and no WIndows OS DVD's were issued with the laptop.  The WIndows install is 100% legit. The problem is only the failure of Lenovo to give customers the OS DVD's with the new laptop. The Lenovo warranty period has expired and their help/support is less than useless.

The recovery method in the Lenovo instructions does not work! I press the Novo key and F11 and get to the start of the recovery process where I select language and then when I click Next, the process stops with an alert saying I need to log in - see system administrator.

So I am unable to use the built in Recovery method.

I read there are several other methods of recovery and two of them I have explored:

1. Mircosoft website has a software-recovery section where I can enter my Product ID/Key and language and download an ISO for burning to be used as an install disk for fresh WIndow 7 Professional install.  The required 25 character Windows Key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx) which I obtained using a registration key app but is not accepted by Microsoft so I cannot proceed to download an ISO. I believe the Key is correct as it matches what I recorded one year ago and is same using two different Key recovery apps.

2. The Lenovo website gave instructions for burning DVD's to be used for restoring the laptop to as released from factory settings.  I have successfully burned all three DVD's from the Recovery partition and since this is my last option and there is some uncertainty about whether or not I have the correct Windows Key I hesitate to proceed with this option because if I am asked to key in the Windows Key and it is not correct/accepted I am in a worse position than I am was before I attempted recovery.

I can't find any references to exactly what happens using these reovery disks so I am uncertain if I'm going to encounter the potential for the Product key barrier.  So, it all comes down to one question ... If I use these Recovery DVD's, is the Windows registration key included already so I can restore to "as new" without "hiccups"? If the Windows Key is stored in the recovery disks I can proceed and all will be well, but if not, I will be stuck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

The site that you inputted your key does not accept OEM keys. Right click Computer > Properties. At the bottom of the page you will see your PID. If it has OEM in the PID then you cannot download an iso from Microsoft's site. You can input your key into the Ultimate PID checker and it will tell you the key is Valid.

If you created DVD's using lenovo's utility then you should not need to enter any key. It will be pre-activated.

When it asks you to login does it have a user and password box? Can you post a screen shot of the window?

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 July 2015 - 09:14 PM.

#3 Newton51

Newton51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:07 PM

Many thanks for this prompt reply.  I am unable to export the photo from my phone.

I will follow up with your suggestion about PID and option.

After pressing Next a pop-up titled System Recovery Optons says "You must log in to access System Recovery Options. If you are having trouble logging in, please contact your computer administrator for assistance. Click OK to restart th computer"

There is no way for me to log in before or after this event and clicking "OK" starts Windows normally.

Thankyou too for the reassurance WIndows is pre-activated with the DVD's using Lenovos utility. I appreciate greatly your help and will report back.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:40 AM

The error your reporting has no information about which process produce this error what where you doing before you receive this error message.

Install Windows OS with recovery discs you created its backup copy of the image in recovery partition which also does not need for you to enter Windows OS product key to activate Windows OS.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#5 Newton51

Newton51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:51 AM

sorry, it related to paragraph 2 in my post.

I restored everything. Many thanks to you both.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:01 AM

Your very welcome, nice to know we were able to help resolve your problem.

Take Care.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users