Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden files that I cannot delete

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EcoGeek

EcoGeek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

I have two hidden files in my Windows 7 system32 directory of about 100k each. These two files have a strange symbol set that looks like chinese characters. If on folder options, I turn on show operating system files and also turn on hidden files, they do not show up in the directory. The only way I knew that they were there was when I was uploading another file to Virus Total and saw them there. Virus Total shows no malware on these files. I don't know what these files are doing in my system directory.

Is there a program that can actually see these hidden files and delete them? I attached one as an example

Attached Files

Edited by EcoGeek, 17 July 2015 - 05:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

Hello there :)

I do not know of a program that can possibly delete those files, ''yet''. But I can suggest the following:

Run the Command Prompt as an administrator and execute the following command: sfc /scannow

That command will check the integrity of all the system files and possibly give more information on those.

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

Please run Malwarebytes.  No promises but, I'd like to see what results it has, anyway.

#4 EcoGeek

EcoGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

@TinoNgombo Thanks for the suggestion, didn't even cross my mind about scannow. Yes, I have corrupted file systems :-(

@Drew1903 yes I ran malwarebytes, and both files checked out on Virus Total as being clean. Weird how you can only see them when you use an uploader but cannot see them under admin/cmd/dir

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:53 PM

Run scannow..(good suggestion)....malwarebytes is all cool as well.....If you are still uncertain after running scannow, start a topic in the "Am I Infected" area and have it checked out there.

For now I would leave those entries alone. You could easily cause a really serious problem......(PC unable to boot type problem)

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#6 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:18 PM

Hello,

Can you please upload the following, this will show the results of the SFC scan:

Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt

• Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button => Inside the search box copy and paste the following command:
    cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • Press Enter
  • Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Please upload CBS.txt to this thread

Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to your next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

Edited by Go The Power, 17 July 2015 - 09:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users