Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about monitor resolutions/HDMI

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 munekun

munekun

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:52 PM

I'll try to put this in the most simple way possible and i hope it makes sense. I am currently saving to buy a PS4 and i am going to buy a monitor along with it as for some reason when i use HDMI cords on my downstairs tv it gives me a horrible headache and i use led backlit monitors all the time without any headaches so i figured a monitor should work fine. I will be using an HDMI to DVI cord to use the monitor but what i am asking is, If i can view a monitor using DVI connected to my computer with no headaches at 1024 x 768 i realistically should be able to use the ps4 at 480p? which i read on google is 720x480. I'm sorry if this is extremely confusing i just have ridiculously sensitive eyes and basically am wondering if the display will work the same using hdmi to dvi as it is dvi-dvi [I understand the no audio but that doesn't bother me as i will use headphones]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,948 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

I am surprised that your 'downstairs tv' gives you headaches unless it is an older CRT type - ie very heavy with a glass screen. 

I think you will be very hard put to find a monitor with 720x480 resolution, most available today range between 1350x750 (approx) to 1920x1080 and upwards if you have the money. But if you have no problems with computer screens then I would not expect you to have a problem with such a monitor.

If you are thinking of buying a monitor to use with your PS4, when you get it, just make sure it has an HDMI input. If you intend using the monitor you refer to in your post, then HDMI to DVI converters are readily available and not expensive - look at Amazon as an example.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 munekun

munekun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

I am surprised that your 'downstairs tv' gives you headaches unless it is an older CRT type - ie very heavy with a glass screen. 

I think you will be very hard put to find a monitor with 720x480 resolution, most available today range between 1350x750 (approx) to 1920x1080 and upwards if you have the money. But if you have no problems with computer screens then I would not expect you to have a problem with such a monitor.

If you are thinking of buying a monitor to use with your PS4, when you get it, just make sure it has an HDMI input. If you intend using the monitor you refer to in your post, then HDMI to DVI converters are readily available and not expensive - look at Amazon as an example.

Chris Cosgrove

It's not a CRT it's led, that's why it is especially odd that just by using the hdmi cord it gives me a headache because it's fine on everything else. And with the 720x480 i only used that as a example because that's what resolution 480p uses on a ps4, atleast according to google, though i have no idea if that is correct or not. I will be using a hdmi to dvi converter but i basically just wanted to know if dvi and hdmi are visually identical to eachother as i know i can use dvi on monitors fine.

Edited by munekun, 17 July 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,948 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

I honestly don't know the answer as to whether or not HDMI and DVI are visually identical, I would have thought so, or at least that the differences between the performance of one screen and another would outweigh any difference induced by the cables. However you might find these links useful, or at least better informed !

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1724520

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19465659

http://www.projectorcentral.com/DVI_HDMI_connections.htm

Chris Cosgrove

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

Personally I think you need to back up a bit and find out why you get headaches using your TV with HDMI.  Are you using 1080p or 1080i on your tv .. and how big is your TV. If your using 1080i than the double signal image could be messing with your head.  If your using 1080p than maybe you need to have your eyes checked.  As far as the ps4 goes you should use HDMI to HDMI or you may have issues with HDCP and image resolution.  You don't want to use 720x480 that's just silly talk your games will look like crap.  You want 1080p and HDMI carries both the digital signal along with sound (in accordance with HDCP) otherwise some of your blue ray movies may not play.

#6 munekun

munekun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

Personally I think you need to back up a bit and find out why you get headaches using your TV with HDMI.  Are you using 1080p or 1080i on your tv .. and how big is your TV. If your using 1080i than the double signal image could be messing with your head.  If your using 1080p than maybe you need to have your eyes checked.  As far as the ps4 goes you should use HDMI to HDMI or you may have issues with HDCP and image resolution.  You don't want to use 720x480 that's just silly talk your games will look like crap.  You want 1080p and HDMI carries both the digital signal along with sound (in accordance with HDCP) otherwise some of your blue ray movies may not play.

I've tested from 480p to 1080p, 1080i included, they all give me the same headache. the tv is 40" give or take a few inches, i don't recall. I currently wear glasses and had my eyes checked only a few months ago. I am not picky when it comes to the quality, 480p is PLENTY good enough for me but that's not exactly what i'm worried about, i'm more worried about the hdmi cable it's self as the only experience i have with it is that it gives me horrible headaches, so i probably can't even handle 480p, atleast i know i can't on a TV using hdmi. Which is odd because my hdtv has built in freeview and i assume that is 1080i and it doesn't effect me the way using it through an hdmi cord does.

Edited by munekun, 20 July 2015 - 11:13 AM.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:56 PM

I've seen some similar effects on different TV sets.  The fault seemed to be with a motion option for the fast action scenes.  It would eliminate some jumpiness during sports primarily but can cause blank frames.  Notably the 120 and 240 frame units.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users