Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Microsoft commits to 10-year support lifecycle for Windows 10", via ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:57 PM

It's been a bad week for conspiracy theorists. As the Windows 10 launch nears, Microsoft is clearing up loose ends. Today's announcement of a 10-year support commitment for Windows 10 should remove one persistent bit of FUD from the discussion.

With the global launch of Windows 10 less than two weeks away, Microsoft's lawyers and business managers are finishing the pieces of the puzzle that don't involve code.

Earlier this week, Microsoft published its license terms for Windows 10. Today, the company updated its support lifecycle policy for the new OS. In the process, they've cleared up the confusion over a phrase that defines the new Windows 10 servicing model.

Microsoft commits to 10-year support lifecycle for Windows 10

Yet another article that clears about a lot of conspiracie theories. It should calm down the allegations going around that section quite a bit.

Edited by Aura., 17 July 2015 - 01:59 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

Really?  Yeah, then run winver.exe see the EULA yourself.  NOTHING of that is in it.  Ed Bott didn't even know where the EULA was.  But you just run winver.exe on your machine, see for yourself.  The version is no longer 'preview'.  But activated.

EDIT: he finally gave the address as Windows\System32\Licenses -- a bad answer, because that's only AFTER agreeing to the installation.  Not published or easily readable, PRE installation.

You've no idea how little trust in MSFT remains.  It's not me personally griping about this.  I'm taking on the 'character' of the thing in general to dramatise it.  But the deafness at MSFT goes on, and people are getting so tired, even a 'free' offer is distrusted. Does that tell you anything?

But oh, the valid and DOCUMENTED complaints get the reply, 'oh, you're just an MSFT hater!'  Or publicly accused of wearing a tinfoil hat.  Really?  It's an old adage that someone replies with an insult, only when he can't refute.

So a good EULA is key.  And it's not there.

Edited by brainout, 17 July 2015 - 03:45 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

Tandem article in Computerworld  .  Much more factual and substantive.  So if support ends in 2025, but if on Win7 ends 2020, Win8.1 ends 2023, then why bother going to Win10?  Moreover, the updates require the device to be able to handle the updates.  So now, if they make an update on a Win10 'device' which used to have all the Win10 updates but can't handle the next one put out, then that device's 'support' ends.

Quote by MSFT in article (bolding is mine): "The Redmond, Wash. company expanded on the support policy in that same footnote. 'Updates are cumulative, with each update built upon all of the updates that preceded it. A device needs to install the latest update to remain supported," the note stated. "A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer's ('OEM') support period.' "

This isn't going to win trust.  Every machine I have can run Win10, and all of them are outside the OEM period.

Okay, down the rabbit hole with Alice, have a great weekend.

Edited by brainout, 17 July 2015 - 05:31 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

It's been a bad week for conspiracy theorists. As the Windows 10 launch nears, Microsoft is clearing up loose ends. Today's announcement of a 10-year support commitment for Windows 10 should remove one persistent bit of FUD from the discussion.

With the global launch of Windows 10 less than two weeks away, Microsoft's lawyers and business managers are finishing the pieces of the puzzle that don't involve code.

Earlier this week, Microsoft published its license terms for Windows 10. Today, the company updated its support lifecycle policy for the new OS. In the process, they've cleared up the confusion over a phrase that defines the new Windows 10 servicing model.

Microsoft commits to 10-year support lifecycle for Windows 10

Yet another article that clears about a lot of conspiracie theories. It should calm down the allegations going around that section quite a bit.

Maybe... one can only hope.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone could write a book of 'What Ifs'.  There's always the Best Sellers list for an asperation

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

@ brainout...just face it mate....you and I (and anyone else who cares to not tread the hallowed microsoft line) are just "conspiracy theorists !    :hysterical:

On a more serious note...."the proof of the pudding is inevitably in the eating"......lets hope there is no sour taste left behind by yet another M'soft screw up.

Did Vista actually have a 'life cycle' ?...

In conclusion....There are none so deaf, as those who do not wish to hear.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:14 PM

Condobloke, LOLOL.

And now for something completely different yet related, try reading the article here (which is pro-Win10) versus its commenters. Real eye-opener. I didn't realize there were so many Insiders who were.. um .. well, you'll see.

It's heartbreaking.  For I'm dead certain that under the hood of Win10 are some fantastic things.  I'm going to try to find them, too.  The employees who did the coding, undone by the interface folks, the marketing folks, and above all, the lawyers.  It's soooo unfair!

I'd rather PAY for it and get a better product.  Why is that so anathema?  Shutting up now, can't take the thought anymore.  Happy weekend (if I can stay away)...!

Edited by brainout, 17 July 2015 - 08:19 PM.

#7 Charlie_Delta1

Charlie_Delta1

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:58 AM

Do they also intend to get full retail price for Win10, for the entire 10 years?  What new methods are they going to employ in order to prevent natural market forces and the laws of supply and demand from eroding the value of their product?  Stealing other people's intellectual property?  Directly spying upon and recording the actions of it's users?  Acting as an agent for governments to spy upon and record the actions of their users?  Bribery of government officials?  Unfair and illegal trade practices in order to drive competitors out of business?  Installation of undocumented malware and surveillance software on their products?

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

Sigh.  The 'supported lifetime of the device', which Ed Bott never translates properly, so is incompetent or lying -- the 'supported lifetime of the device', means the LIFETIME OF THE SUPPORT, not the lifetime of the device.

MSFT is being misrepresented, so an MSFT spokesperson clarified:  I tried to summarize that here: so in that same link, you yourself can read what Microsoft, not Ed Bott, says.  He should lose his job over this.  Seriously, a lot of people are gonna be hurt.  I attacked him for it there in his own article* which is the title of this thread: so you can read for yourself what he claims.  What he claims, is NOT what Microsoft itself, says.  Go to the source, not to Ed Bott.  Hearsay is not a contract.  Go to the source.

Here's the ACTUAL SOURCE of the blue quote below, AT Microsoft's own site (see link left), in its ** footnote.  So as you can see, it contradicts Mr. Bott's claims.

Again, click here to see the Computerworld article which happily goes only with what MSFT-the-Source said, quoted in the article and reproduced in blue below; which is the opposite, of what Ed Bott claims.  I bolded their OEM clause:

" 'Updates are cumulative, with each update built upon all of the updates that preceded it.  A device needs to install the latest update to remain supported,' the note stated.  'A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer's ('OEM') support period."

So notice: the departure in the MSFT licensing terms for the updates -- expressed BY Microsoft in that link's Computerworld article, is that MSFT will key its own support to the OEM's support.  That was never true before.  OEM support can be ZERO (if you didn't buy the machine from the OEM) up to usually 3 years (if you did), for your average machine. Enterprise gets and pays for longer-term support from the OEMs dependent on what deal they negotiated, since usually Enterprise buys hundreds or thousands of machines at a time.  Yet even here, MSFT is capping its own update support, to 10 years.

So MSFT update support is not for the lifetime of the device, in any case.  For prior versions of Windows, you got support basically so long as your device was working and the Windows license on it, was valid.  No longer true, for Win10.

Now, does this mean that MSFT is some big evil empire trying to monopolize and pull the wool over everyone's eyes?  No.  Companies are made up of people.  Lots of hard working people there.  MSFT has never lied about this, has always said 'supported lifetime', not merely 'lifetime', with respect to Win10 updates.  So Bott and others are doing MSFT a serious injustice.  And many will be mad at MSFT when they shouldn't be.

Now, maybe you or I don't like those terms, but it's MSFT's right to make them.

====

* Never have I attacked someone in public.  Still feel bad about it, but there was no alternative, we're too close to the launch date.  Imagine how hurt people will be to think that so long as their computer is alive -- or at least for 10 years -- they'll get Win10 updates, when Microsoft has never claimed that.  Bott did.

Full contextual quote of Gregg Keizer (writer of the Computerworld article), is reproduced in italics, below.  I bolded the text re OEM.

Microsoft noted the differences in Windows 10's update and upgrade practices in a footnote to the fact sheet's Windows 10 listing. "Updates may include new features, fixes (security and/or non-security), or a combination of both," the footnote read. 

The Redmond, Wash. company expanded on the support policy in that same footnote. "Updates are cumulative, with each update built upon all of the updates that preceded it. A device needs to install the latest update to remain supported," the note stated. "A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer's ('OEM') support period."

The first two sentences describe what Microsoft has already disclosed, that Windows 10 users must keep the OS up to date or face a shut-off of not only feature updates and upgrades, but also security patches. The last sentence, while reasonable on its face, is new to Windows 10, particularly the tie-in with the OEMs' support.

Edited by brainout, 19 July 2015 - 11:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users