Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying message at startup (corrupted program ?)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rayoptics

Rayoptics

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:51 PM

Good day all,

I have an erasing program I run, appropriately called Eraser. It erases files using one, three, seven or 35 passes. It stopped working one day so I removed it and then did a reinstallation. This must have left an error in the registry or elsewhere, because I see (the attached) message at startup. Had to use my camera for the pic because the screenshot isn't accessible while the message is there. I hate fooling with the registry because I don't truly know what I'm doing. Any guesses as to how I can get rid of the message ? Thanks :-)

XP Pro with CCleaner and Malwarebytes etc. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi Rayoptics :)

This is quite easy to remove. Follow the instructions below please.

sUc2qjf.pngAutoruns - Start-up Entries
Follow the instructions below to give me an Autoruns log containing your start-up entries:
  • Download Autoruns.zip from the Sysinternals Suite webpage;
  • Extract the content of the Autoruns.zip folder where you want, then go in the folder, right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • Accept the EULA on opening, then wait for all the entries to load;
  • Click on File then Save and save the file to a location easily accessible as a .arn (Autoruns) file;
  • Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:53 PM

Aura .....

I tried using Autoruns but it's too confusing. I'll have to find a complete tutorial and read it. Thanks

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

You don't have to do anything. Simply open it, let it load, then save it as an .arn file and send me it. I'll find the entry for you and tell you to delete it :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Dualcomm

Dualcomm

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

Usually programs have a folder in Programs Files, open windows explorer and go to /c/ and go into Program Files, delete the folder called "Eraser" if you can find it.  :thumbup2:

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:03 AM

This won't do it Dualcomm. When you delete a file or folder, it's Autoruns entry won't be necessarily deleted :)

unite_blue.png

#7 Dualcomm

Dualcomm

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

This won't do it Dualcomm. When you delete a file or folder, it's Autoruns entry won't be necessarily deleted :)

Oh, lol. That's always how i deleted stuff if i had OP's issue.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

The entry will still exist. In fact, if you do this, you might even create more error messages like that on start-up :P

unite_blue.png

#9 Dualcomm

Dualcomm

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

Can't you delete the folder + the Autorun entrys?

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

Yes, you can. It's better to uninstall the program first, and then if errors like these come up, delete the Autorun entry after.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users