Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2012 R2 - Remote Connections

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steadyaero

steadyaero

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

I work for a small CPA firm and we host a server for remote connections from clients and our employees.
Some clients have multiple users, however I don't want more than 2 simultaneous connections. What I want to do is have 2 user logins to share with each client.

So say a client has 5 employees. They would have 2 logins (companyA1 & companyA2). Default settings are if a user is already logged in and another person tries to login as the same user, it immediately takes over the session. Due to security permissions for the software (quickbooks), I don't want an employee to see another employee's session.

I also don't want to enable multiple sessions per user.

Is there a way to block the connection if the user is already logged on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:02 PM

If you have software like quickbooks it would not be smart to only have 2 logins per company. You can of course set up groups for each company where each specific employee gets a user account inside the group which should keep it organized. However if you are absolutely intent on having shared logins here is what you should do:

With Group Policies, you can limit the amount of simultaneous connections: "Limit number of connections" and "Remove Disconnect option from Shut Down dialog" maybe "Set time limit for disconnected sessions" read more at http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/cc770884%28WS.10%29.aspx

That way you would make it impossible for users to Disconnect the session, keeping the license count small, and limit the number of simultaneous sessions anyway. The goal must be to use personal logons, though.

Hope it helps! Also you might want to consider upgrading to Windows Server 2016 it might help utilitize the hardware better therefore allowing you to use personal logons.

#3 steadyaero

steadyaero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

Each user has their own quickbooks credentials and each set of company server logins only has access to that company's folder.

We have one client which has several board members that only have quickbooks access to view reports. Their access will be sporadic so I don't think that server logins for 15 people who will sign on like once a month is necessary.

But thanks for the GP info. I'll check into that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users