Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Baffling Laptop Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cryptoman3072

Cryptoman3072

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:12 PM

Greetings Fellow Techies,

I have a Toshiba Satellite S50D-A-10G. After a few minutes or hours of usage, my keyboard stops working on Windows 8.1. However, if I use any Linux distribution, both my touchpad and keyboard cease to work.

When I get the issue on Windows, I can let it sleep to remedy the problem. However, I have to restart on Linux. I have realized that this issue tends to occur during the time that my laptop gets a bit hotter.

As a result, I opened up my laptop, cleaned the heatsink and fan, and also applied thermal paste but the problem still persists. I also tried getting a cooling pad but that doesn't seem to have helped either.
Another thing that I have noticed is that the battery icon has a red X when this occurs on Windows, while on Linux it gives a false 0% reading (even though it still works). It also falsely shows that it is charging when it is not plugged in. I am considering disconnecting my battery, but it is a non-removable battery, and it seems like it would be complicated to take out.

I have tried USB keyboards, and although it works initially, it also ceases to work after a short while. I also get this problem in the BIOS.

Any suggestions?
Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

I really hate to say it, but it sounds like your mainboard is in the process of failing. The keyboard, touchpad and mouse are integrated into the mainboard and there is nothing to repair with them. The only thing I can think of is to reinstall the mainboard drivers that (hopefully) came with your laptop on a CD. If you did not get those (I suspect that you didn't) go to Toshiba's website and (hopefully again) they have them posted for download. The keyboard, touchpad and mouse drivers will be on the mainboard driver package (or we can hope they are anyway). Three other possibilities are:

>Reset your BIOS (CMOS) back to factory default in case some settings became corrupted.

> Do a system restore to a restore date immediately before this problem started. That will preserve your data and programs.

> Do a system re-image from the restore partition on the HDD; this will nuke all programs and data and restore your lap to factory date.

> Third option: try connecting separate keyboard and mouse to the laptop ports and hope for the best. Maybe try this first??

Edited by ranchhand_, 17 July 2015 - 03:56 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

How old is the laptop?

#4 Cryptoman3072

Cryptoman3072
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:37 PM

How old is the laptop?

It's 2 years old.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:06 AM

Is it under warranty, or did you have an extended warranty?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Cryptoman3072

Cryptoman3072
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:38 AM

Is it under warranty, or did you have an extended warranty?

Unfortunately, the warranty has expired.

#7 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, sadly with it doing this both in the bios and out, with the laptop keyboard and a usb keyboard, sounds like the motherboard is the problem.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users