Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus netbook... Battery dead, and now the charging port isn't working.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kitty-Nin

Kitty-Nin

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

It's an ASUS Eee PC Seashell Series model 1015px, battery has been dead for like a year, and the charging port has been squirrelly for a while, but worked as long as I held the male charger end in the right position. Anyway, it crapped out yesterday and as of now I have a brick. Does anyone know how to either: a-replace the charging port (I'm fairly sure it's the port and not the wire, will confirm as asoon as I find my multimeter) or b- just bypass the stupid thing and solder the wire right into the computer as I really only use it at home and plugged in anyway, and I'm going to replace it in the next few months.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goundin

goundin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

My advise. Take it to your local computer repair shop. Depending on how the port is designed a) piggy-tail or B) soldered onto the board, depends on the amount of work and price. Sounds like you may be having trouble with the charger and not the port, but without seeing it in person it is hard to confirm that.

#3 Kitty-Nin

Kitty-Nin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:32 PM

Located the multimeter.... It's definitely the port, not the charger. Also, since I've had this thing open before, it's definitely soldered into the board. Seems like it ought to be a simple matter of de-soldering and popping a new charging port in.

#4 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

Just a note on soldering with laptop power ports.  They tend to use silver solder so make sure you have enough heat.  Also often many times they also coat the solder in a rubber and or plastic type material.  This means you will have to use a razor blade, exacto knife, ect to remove this coating.  They are easy to replace if you are experienced solderer but otherwise can take time and easily damage the motherboard itself. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users