Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help resetting computer back to factory settings.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Fox

Lone Fox

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:05 PM

I'm trying to restore my notebook. Dell Inspirion 15 (5548) Windows 8.1 

I've tried some options:

"Remove everything and reinstall Windows" in the PC Settings (Windows 8.1 feature). All this gives me is a blue screen error message (described below).

I've tried restoring via the recovery DVDs I made when I first purchased the computer. After proceeding with the options via Dell Backup and Recovery, it ask me to restart the computer; unfortunately all it does is... restart the computer, no messages or anything.

I've tried recovering via the F12 key during boot, and choosing the appropriate option, but all it does is give me the same blue screen error message.

I've tried the Advance Startup in the Windows update and recovery menu. I would then choose Dell Backup Recovery option, but then I would get the same blue screen error message.

error message:

Your PC needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors.
File: \windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Error code: ...

screen picture: 

I've ran the built in Windows Memory Diagnostic test, and it reported no errors.
I've ran Dells Diagnostics utility in the boot menu option, but everything passed.

I'm not really sure what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:29 PM

Download Produkey and write down your 8.1 key. Your key is embedded in firmware. Then go here and download the Windows 8.1 install media. Pick the same version you have, Home or Pro. Backup your data and do a reinstall. This disk will not have the Dell drivers so you may have to go to your computer's support page and get the appropriate drivers.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:51 AM

Have you try to start your computer with factory recovery DVD.

2GvnEq2.gif

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:17 AM

If you can get your hands on a Win8.1 disc, do a Custom install using YOUR key.  You may, still, have to fetch driver's from the computer maker's web site.

#5 Lone Fox

Lone Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

Download Produkey and write down your 8.1 key. Your key is embedded in firmware. Then go here and download the Windows 8.1 install media. Pick the same version you have, Home or Pro. Backup your data and do a reinstall. This disk will not have the Dell drivers so you may have to go to your computer's support page and get the appropriate drivers.

That worked, thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:48 AM

Your Welcome, Glad it worked for you and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users