Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 and W8 on 2 drives. Can I choose one or the other at Boot-up?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

I grew tired of Win 8-64 so I bought a new HDD and installed Win 7-64 onto it. I've now got the W8 HDD disconnected from the computer.

I'm very happy using W7 primarily but I'd like to also get into my Win 8 on occasion.

I'm not up to speed with dual booting so I'm looking for some guidance about my options for the two HDD situation.

I'll do the legwork for the detailed instructions but right now I don't know the terminology of what to search for..or how difficult it might be.

Any advise?

Thanks

ps my Win 8.0 remains un-updated. Do I need to update it before I set up this dual-boot arrangement? (It's a desktop and I've only just recently gotten a fast internet connection....after I disconnected the W8 hdd from the computer)

Edited by brian2009, 17 July 2015 - 11:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

I would think you could set your win hdd to boot first in your bios, then when you want to boot into win 8 just get to the boot screen and choose to boot from the win 8 hdd.  Not sure if that makes sense?

utl8q0-5.png

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:39 PM

I would think you could set your win hdd to boot first in your bios, then when you want to boot into win 8 just get to the boot screen and choose to boot from the win 8 hdd.  Not sure if that makes sense?

Yeah. I think I follow that.

You mean press my 'boot select button' during the boot-up (It's a self build with a BioStar A780L3C MoBo) to select the drive at boot up?

I suppose I could do that but wasn't sure if that might create a  two OS's problem.

Seems like there would be other methods. Maybe not.

Thanks.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

I think what Jokerz means is the boot select menu on bootup. I don't know about Biostar, but on my Asrock I tap F11 when booting, and a boot menu pops up listing all HDDS connected (I have three, plus two DVDs); I arrow-down to my Win8.1 drive and hit Enter and it boots. I can select between W7, W8 and XP. I would guess the Biostar's BIOS would have a similar option.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:29 PM

Yes exactly press the "boot select button"!  There may be an easier way.  I would be surprised if there was not some software out there that would help you set up a duel boot windows.  Another thing, again not sure if this would work but have a VM on your win 7 machine that would load your win 8...  Worth a shot to look into any way!

utl8q0-5.png

#6 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

OK. What I was looking for was a "bootloader".

Does Windows 7/8 come with one?

I found this one:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/EasyBCD_program_21892.html

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/#comparison

#7 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

Well. I know nothing about VM's.

But you gotta learn sometime I guess.

At least I have a few things to consider now.

........................................................................................

That software easybcd looks interesting but I'm thinking just selecting the boot drive from the bios screen keeps it simple. Which is usually a good thing.

Edited by brian2009, 17 July 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:07 PM

A boot menu has nothing to do with VM, that is an entirely different setup.

Are you sure your Biostar doesn't have a boot menu included? Check your user's manual that came with the mainboard.

Edited by ranchhand_, 17 July 2015 - 05:08 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:29 PM

What do you mean 'boot menu'?

I know if I press a certain key I can select the boot order. CD/USB/HDD but I'm not sure if it breaks the HDD down if there is more than one.

I'll check it out and report back.

I've attached the zip file of my bios manual.

I think the boot settings might be found on page 18.

Attached Files

Edited by brian2009, 17 July 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:03 AM

Does Windows 7/8 come with one?

A boot selection menu comes from your mainboard BIOS. Read my first post above.

It appears that the manual says nothing about a boot selection pop-up so you probably don't have one. In fact, I don't see any listing of what each F-key does on boot, which is a bit odd.  I suggest you try tapping the different F-keys as you boot to see what happens. So...the only other option is a nuisance, but it will work. Unplug all the HDDs that you don't want to boot in to, and leave the HDD with the version of Windows you desire to boot connected, then boot up.

The boot loaders you link to are a bit unclear as to enabling boot choices between different HDDs. The term "Dual Boot" usually means that you have more than one partition on a single hard disk drive, and you are give the choice of booting into which-ever partition you want. Try one, it won't' hurt anything; if you don't want it you can always just delete it.

#11 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

Yeah.

I thought it was a little unclear as well.

I now have the W7 hdd located in the first sata slot. This is the version of Windows I'll be using 95% of the time.

I probably won't know about my boot selection menu until I get the other W8 hdd installed.

I'm hesitant to do that because I want to be sure it boots into the W7 automatically, which apparently it will as long as it's located in the primary sata slot.

I'll put the W8 hdd in later today and see what happens. I think there is a bios update avb but I probably won't bother with that at this point as it appears to be working well.

I'm thinking of possibly going with the W10 upgrade from my W8 after I get it to W8.1. No hurry on that. I'm not sure if I'll like it any better than Win8.

Thanks for the help.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

Using EasyBCD...should allow you dual-boot both 7 and 8.

I don't have 8 installed but EasyBCD is the basic tool for dual-booting Windows, IMO, on occasions where either the boot files have become damaged or the Windows versions were not installed in sequence.

I suggest you download it from the Neosmart site, since they are the developers...minimizes the concern re possible adware and other malware.

Louis

#13 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

Using EasyBCD...should allow you dual-boot both 7 and 8.

I don't have 8 installed but EasyBCD is the basic tool for dual-booting Windows, IMO, on occasions where either the boot files have become damaged or the Windows versions were not installed in sequence.

I suggest you download it from the Neosmart site, since they are the developers...minimizes the concern re possible adware and other malware.

Louis

Thanks. It does seem to be used quite widely. I'm watching some youtubes on it now. Seems a little complicated but not that complex.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

It's not complicated...if you realize that you must first ensure that both O/Ses are properly detected within EasyBCD...then you make sure that the boot files are adjusted to reflect both detected O/Ses.  The only thing after that is to select which O/S you want to be the default...with "default" meaning that's the one the system will boot into only if you don't select the other one from the boot options presented when you initially turn the system on or reboot.

Louis

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

Good call, Louis....that sounds like what the OP needs.

Edited by ranchhand_, 18 July 2015 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users