Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mandatory Windows 10 Home updates: The good, the bad, and the potentially ugly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

If you want to run Windows 10 Home then you will have to agree to Microsoft's terms, and those now state that you agree to have updates automatically installed on your system.You're agreeing to this when you accept the terms of the licensing agreement (you do read the EULA, right? Right?). Specifically [emphasis added]:

"Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice."

Since it's not just security updates that Microsoft is going to be pushing out to Windows 10 users but feature updates too, users will have to trust Microsoft to exercise good judgment as to what it pushes down the pipes to end users.

Windows 10 Pro users get a bit more control over their systems, and will be able to switch over to the Current Branch for Business (CBB) version of Windows 10, which will allow them to delay feature updates. However, delaying for too long will result in security updates also being blocked.

Article

I realize this is old news but the article brings up a good point. Will Microsoft push out things like it did previously as optional i.e. the Bing toolbar.And some updates have been toxic as the article mentions. I usually like to wait a week before doing the updates to see if there are any issues. Now you need Pro in order to avoid auto updates. Even Windows Pro users will have to eventually update features or they will lose security updates. So, even with Pro, you will have to accept a Feature Update even if you don't like it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

You beat me to this.  Was just going to post the same article.  I did my due diligence warning there in the comments, won't repeat it here.  Did you read the EULA you got with build 10240, which is supposed to be the Pro EULA?  It's nowhere easy to find on your machine, you can't copy or paste or print or find it on the web.  But its clause is 'you agree to receive updates', milder in tone. But no warranty that you can put them off.

Right now I've a new update for that build, and MSFT wants me to schedule when it will be installed.  I did nothing.  Want to see what happens if I don't respond.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users