Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Crashes, Back-light failure, and drivers auto disabling.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beerwolf44

Beerwolf44

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:44 AM

Hello,

I have an Asus Q400a laptop that is about 2 years old. About 6 months ago I started to have a problem with the back-light on the laptop turning off and on randomly. I would be surfing the web, taking notes in class, or just listening to music and it would go black, but if I shinned a flashlight on the screen, I could still navigate through programs. It went away until now. Now sometimes the back-light goes out and sometimes it does what I would call a soft crash. The screen goes black, keyboard restarts and it takes me to the home screen where sometimes I can log back in and continue my work. Sometimes the screen will just stay black and only the mouse is responsive on the black screen. Other times I can get to the login screen and the mouse is responsive but the keyboard wont work with the exception of the dash/underscore key (tried external keyboard as well). Lastly, sometimes it will continues to crash so rapidly that I have to wait a while before I can shut it down properly. I'm not sure if this is related but when my computer isn't plugged in, it is disabling my network driver (I have the correct settings for it not to disable for power save reasons). I think I have narrowed it down to a hardware problem since I am currently using the HDD in another computer and have not had a single problem. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting though. I downloaded CPUID HWMonitor but none of the heat levels look like they are high enough to be causing the problem. I also checked the fan for dust and debris and it is completely clear. 

This is my first time posting in a while so if you need more information regarding my computer, let me know but here is the basics:

Windows 8.1

Asus Q400a

i7 processor

750Gb storage

8gb Ram

It's hard for me to give exact info since I am using the HDD in another computer right now but I'll do my best.

-Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

Hi, Mr. Ryan :)

Ok, let us start from your laptop screen: it seems that the inverter (the inner device which provides electricity to the backlight) is faulty. Consider replacement.

Now, as for the crashes, are you getting any BSODs (Blue Screen of Death)?

#3 Beerwolf44

Beerwolf44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

Hello TinoNgombo,

I've had my suspicions about the inverter but since the problem seems to come and go, I never got around to replacing it. I thought that all of the problems might be related since they all happen at the same time. 

As far as the BSoD, the screen never turns blue. It's as if someone hit the sleep button on my computer and everything goes black, it does everything as if I had hit the sleep button except fully sleep. It tries to recover and sometime does (by pulling up the windows log in screen) but other times, it will stay black with mouse activity or it will continually "crash" and try to recover. When it can't recover, the screen will either stay black or the log in screen will appear allowing me to use to mouse, but not the keyboard (with the exception of the dash/underscore key). It responds to other keys by making a sound and also will get from the home screen to the actual password screen but no other keys will work when typing in the password. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users