Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image GPT RAID to new, larger RAID drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bluestrings

Bluestrings

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:23 AM

The Problem:
Anyone happen to know how to successfully image an old RAID 1 drive (Samsung 3 TB Barracuda I believe) to a new RAID 1 (WD Red drives that are 4 TB each)? Please ignore my noobish mistake that I first got non RAID drives that don't support time limited error recovery stuff. It's on a UEFI motherboard with secure boot and GPT formatted HDDs. I can get it to boot precisely once after doing it, then it doesn't want to boot anymore.

Background History/Info:
I thought it had something to do with secure boot information stored on the motherboard but I don't know what to do to fix it. Normally as you know, copying a drive image is a simple process. Seems that way if the machine is BIOS/legacy boot based or if you aren't using it in UEFI mode. UEFI based booting of GPT drives is and has been a new nightmare for me to learn. Maybe I'm just not getting the right info. Makes me miss MBR/BIOS.... but UEFI is better security wise and for new features. ANYHOW.... 

What I've tried:
I've imaged the drives using Acronis True Image (because Ghost is dated and I don't have the symantec system recovery), pull the old drive completely from the system, new drives boot (hurrah), then once I shut down or restart, it doesn't boot up again. I'm running the re-image in one of two ways. Either a boot from the CD or off of an external hard drive using Windows to go Workspace that is supported in Windows 8. I've done this because the Acronis disk doesn't recognize the RAID properly (it will see the drives but as two separate devices, got it to work by copying the data to one of the drives set up as "RAID ready").

Portable Windows installation. 

Works beautifully on an ext HDD with USB 3.0... surprisingly better than my 3.0 USB drive.

I think I've been asking the wrong questions anyway on google. Focusing on how to do it in Acronis... found a few things that I haven't yet tried.

Also noticed this important tidbit from the Microsoft technet link...

"The partition sizes and types of the destination computer must exactly match the partition structure of the master computer."

General Machine Specs
AMD Custom Gaming rig
ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z Motherboard, UEFI board using secure boot. 
Moving from 3 TB RAID drive (other drive failed) to 2 WD Red Drives of 4 TB capacity.

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2015 - 10:36 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:51 PM

I'm not sure if I follow you completely (lack of info) but you should look through here for solid info on everything you've mentioned http://www.overclock.net/t/1179518/seans-ssd-buyers-guide-information-thread#post_15860073

The author is a very highly respected member there with most everything you'll need to know in a easy to follow list of links. This comes from personal experience.

I believe what you're looking for will be found in the Win 8/Win 7 install guide.

Personally I always choose "Other OS" in bios under boot tab\ Secure Boot menu on my CHV-Z/9590/7970 when installing OS. Never any issues but I run 128GB SSD for OS and use multiple large storage drives. If this is similar to what you have simply create the new array and after completion/restart then add the 3TB and drag and drop what you need? As mentioned I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question but wanted to share if it "is" of any help!

Good luck and look me up if I can offer any more assistance with that CHV-Z setup!

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#3 Bluestrings

Bluestrings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

I don't think that link really helps me at all, unfortunately, as I assume the disk imaging sections refer to BIOS based systems. This is UEFI, as you obviously know from the "other OS" option you mentioned. Problem is that they are not the same nor do they boot the same. I don't see any mention of secure boot in there nor how to deal with it.... Secure boot also makes the process a bit complicated, since it uses Public Key Cryptography ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dn747883.aspx ). Secure boot, from what I understand, is part of the firmware that basically has a set list of trusted devices written to NVRAM (Non volatile random access memory). You change a physical hard drive, you change the cryptographic code, and the motherboard no longer trusts the new device that you installed into the computer. I think this is where my problem lies, but I have no idea how to modify the stored keys and everything I seem to google just makes me confused as hell.

You see, I read this UEFI boot process article ( https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/01/25/uefi-boot-how-does-that-actually-work-then/ ) and it pretty much confirms some of my existing ideas. I'm hoping someone with experience can guide me through how to do this, or at least point me to an article which isn't overly confusing. My guess (may be reaching out quite a bit on this one) is that the reason I'm able to boot precisely once after the disk is re-imaged with the backup copy, is that the UEFI system re-encodes the key stored on the drive after it boots. Thus, upon the reboot it is no longer recognized as a trusted device and therefore fails to boot. There are options to disable secure boot, yes, but having secure boot is useful as it helps to protect against boot loader infections and so forth. So I'd really rather keep it, and I think other OS bypasses part of Secure Boot (since it may not be a UEFI based boot but MBR).

So I'm still stuck. I need to image a 3 TB RAID 01 drive to a new set of 4 TB RAID 01 WD Reds.... and mind you, this is for someone else. Not me. I also think I need to read up on what some of the keys are used for in greater detail ( http://blog.hansenpartnership.com/the-meaning-of-all-the-uefi-keys/ ). But right now I've got a headache from all of this... and I don't normally get headaches from learning new things. *sigh*

Edited by hamluis, 22 July 2015 - 02:37 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users