Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook won't open in Full Screen - opens in 1/2 screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Location:Crossed the Atlantic, via Havana. Now in Tampa Bay area for a while.
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:13 AM

I've had this problem in years gone by with older IE versions.  They were fixed by doing things like dragging the corners out then hitting File > Exit etc.

That doesn't work with this - I'm using IE 11 and Windows 8.1.  Most of the solutions I have come across this morning are for things like IE 10 and Windows 7 etc.

What I have tried to do so far

1.  Drag edges of screen out then hit File > Exit.  Has no effect, next time I open Outlook, it is still 1/2 screen.

2.  Hold down Windows key and F11.  Has no effect at all.

3.  Hover over shortcut to Outlook, right-click then Properties.  Supposed to show a Maximise button.  Does not show.

4.  Close every open screen, leaving only Outlook screen open, then drag edges out and hit File > Exit.  Does not work.

I have gradually been replacing things I get Internet Explorer to do and shifting over to Chrome (beginning to despise IE more and more) but I am not sure how I can get Outlook to open with Chrome yet.  That, of course, is a possibility which may solve this IE issue.

Does anyone know how to fix this current problem for IE 11 and Windows 8.1.?  Older fixes appear to be of no use here.

thanks

Hoges

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:32 AM

Hi,

Try this:

- open Outlook

- adjust the window size

- hold the SHIFT key and use File -> Exit

This works on IE not sure if it works for Outlook.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:54 AM

Hi Sleepy Dude,

Nope, no change. Still opens 1/2 screen.

Also noticed that my FB opens the same, in half-screen, and I have to maximise that also. 

If I open my browser to my home page (which is Google News) it opens full screen.  If I open using Chrome, same home page, it opens to full screen.

Hoges

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:42 AM

Hi,

Check the following article http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outlook-items-always-open-full-screen/ try to remove the registry values mentioned on the article but before doing that make sure you create a backup by exporting the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\xx.0\Outlook\Office Explorer

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

Hi again SleepyDude,

Immediately after you posted, the size issue disappeared, although I then had an issue with the header bars, which wasn't as much of a pain as the sizing thing.  All worked OK for the past few however many days until about an hour ago when the size issue returned and I now have to resize my email screen, my FB screen and a couple of other screens, though not all screens.

Don't really want to go fiddling about in the Registry.  Pity Microsoft can't get these things to be easily fixable, but then that's asking a bit much.  Will see how long I can tolerate it for before doing something radical.

Thanks for the tips/s

Hoges

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users