Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update and 100% CPU

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chicchio

Chicchio

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:01 AM

Hello !

I have a Lenovo T60, with Windows 7 Ultimate. The PC was slow, and I noticed that there was Windows update service using 100% CPU in Task manager. Stopping the service returned my PC to normal. No error message in Event viewer. The PC il clear, no virus/malware ecc. (Symantec Endpoint Protection 12). The same occurred with SEP shut down.

So, I tried common fixes https://support.microsoft.com/it-it/kb/971058 (found the error code 0x80070005 not fixed), then http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7 and finally a sort of handmade fix running a batch file to reset the Windows update (stopping services, unregistering then re-registering some objects etc).

Someone from Microsft suggested a new, fresh install of Windows 7. A very drastic solution.

I had the same problem about 2 years ago, when I had a PC running Windows XP: suddenly, Windows Update didn't worked, and PC was at 100% CPU; a lot of fixes, but no result - so finally I decided to change OS, bought a SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 7. Now another time the same bug !

Looking around, it seems that other people have the same problem, and that this random occurs in various Windows versions...

Any suggestion ?

Thanks from Enrico

PS sorry for my English

Edited by Chicchio, 17 July 2015 - 02:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:48 AM

hello, and welcome to bleeping computer! are you running on an administrator account, because error 0x80070005 is caused by having not enough privileges to update windows

they call me te java mayster

#3 Chicchio

Chicchio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:09 AM

Yes, Awesomecooldude101.

First, thanks for the help.

I am logged with an administrator account, and anyway i run the fix as administrator (right click, run as administrator).

I googled for the error, too, and I agree with you. But this code is note returned by Windows Update, nor from any other event. It only appears when I run FixIt 971058.

#4 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:48 AM

hmmm...I see, can you please run sfc /scannow in a new command window with administrator privileges. You can do this by pressing the windows button (between ctrl and alt) + x,then you should get a little bubble with some options, now can you please select run command prompt (admin) and input the command above

#5 Chicchio

Chicchio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

Run sfc, no problem detected.

Anyway, I also noticed a strange thing: in the popup window that opens at the end of FixIt 971058 there is Error 0x80070005 not fixed, but in the detail report the error results fixed.

Must I post the screenshots ?

Edited by Chicchio, 17 July 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

I just went through a similar situation with the same error code, go into the regular menu right click windows update and run as admin.  If that does work but normal does not try MS SubInACL tool that finally got me going.  Prior was the fixit tool, it may have been a combination of the two.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23510

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 17 July 2015 - 02:28 PM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#7 Chicchio

Chicchio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

Phil, thanks to you, too, for the help, but no fix !

I run Windows Update as Administrator (even if my account is in admin group) but the behavior is the same, WU service use 100% CPU.

The WU windows, meanwhile, says that the computer is updated, no update available, with a nice green shield... but PC blocked with 100% CPU.

I have tried almost three times...

Edited by Chicchio, 17 July 2015 - 03:05 PM.

#8 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

I think your windows updater may be corrupted....but sfc doesn't detect any problem...Try running the update on a new administrator account

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

Hi Chicchio :)

It seems like a certain person (*coughAlexcough*) told me to handle things here :P Follow the instructions below please.

IGJdB0T.pngSystem Update Readiness Tool (SURT) - Scan
Follow the instructions below to run a scan with the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) and provide a log;
  • Download the right version of SURT for your system;
  • Once downloaded, execute the installer, and go throught the installation (this process can take around 15-20 minutes);
  • On completion, a log will be created in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log;
  • Attach this log in your next reply;
Alternatively, if these instructions are unclear for you, you can follow the tutorial below.

System Update Readiness Tool (SURT)

Edited by Aura., 17 July 2015 - 09:10 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

I probably don't have the expertise aura has ,anyway your in good hands now! Aura will help you!    :thumbup2:

#11 Chicchio

Chicchio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

Sorry for the delay - I was out for the weekend.

OK, maybe we have fixed the issue (till next time !).

Run SURT, reboot, start WU et voilà updates found and all OK.

Many thanks for the help.

Edited by Chicchio, 20 July 2015 - 05:41 AM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:44 AM

Is it possible to have the CheckSUR.log just in case so I can verify? If you don't feel like it's needed in your case because your issue has been solved, it's fine too :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users