Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freshment college student choosing between Asus Zenbook and Macbook Pro

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jingorito

Jingorito

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:26 PM

I am going to be a college student in Sept and I need to purchase a laptop.

I'll be using my laptop for both school work and some gaming at night (League of Legend and Dota)

Since i'll be living in the campus, i'll have to travel around with my laptop with me most of the time. So i am looking for a portable laptop with decent battery life

After days of browsing, I've narrowed down to two options: Macbook Pro and Asus Zenbook UX303LN

Both laptops are 13 inches with price around $1199

Macbook Pro

http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MF839LL/A&step=config#

Asus Zenbook

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Zenbook-UX303-13-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00KTL21RA

The only thing that holds me back from choose  the Zenbook is because of its common HINGE FAILURE. I'll be relying on my laptop for most of my schoolwork so i can't just have it break down on me and I will have to send it back to be fixed

If there is anyway to reinforce it before it breaks, please let me know!

I have never used a Mac before and i am not sure if it is fit for gaming(not heavy gaming) and I have no experience with its system.

Any suggestions and advice would help

Thanks c:

Edited by Jingorito, 16 July 2015 - 11:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

I'd like to point out that the Zenbook is hands down more powerful all around and has more storage. Core i7 vs core i5, 256GB SSD vs 128GB SSD for storage, 12GB of RAM vs 8GB of RAM, Nvidia GT 840m with 2 GB of dedicated VRAM VS the integrated Iris Pro graphics on the macbook that use the systems memory.  Both games listed will run on either laptop, but it certainly seems like you're being cheated by the macbook for the measly hardware that comes in it compared to other laptops at that price. 

Is there any particular reason you want a supper thin laptop? There are a multitude of 15.6 inch laptops at 1 1/2 inches thick that will be much sturdier then either the macbook or zenbook and perform better. Like this Lenovo laptop that wipes the floor with both. Why the particular preference for a a supper thin and small laptop? 

Edit: Also why the need for the UHD screen?

Edited by SEANIA, 17 July 2015 - 10:28 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 Jingorito

Jingorito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

I would like to keep my laptop thin and light because I'll be moving it around a lots on a daily basis.I've carried different sizes laptop before and I find 13 inches to be the most comfortable. Do you have any other suggestion for similar 13 inches laptop? The uhd screen is optional I don't really need it

Edited by Jingorito, 17 July 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

There is this Acer laptop. The screen is attached by the sides instead of at the bottom, making it's hinged much more durable. The specs are more then enough to play the games you listed, uses a 256GB SSD so it's fast and responsive, has one of Intel's newest 5th Gen laptop CPU's so it's very power efficient at a 10 hour battery life, has a touch screen that can flip around to a tablet if wanted, and costs less then the other two. Oh and it uses a 1080p screen which is what most software developers design their stuff to be run on (most programs have trouble running on a UHD screen like the others have). 

Edited by SEANIA, 17 July 2015 - 02:47 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 Jingorito

Jingorito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

Not a big fan of 2 in 1 but the spec and price look very nice. Do you think there is a way to reinforce the hinge of a laptop before it breaks?

#6 Jingorito

Jingorito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Y40-Laptop-Computer-Generation/dp/B00K2NNEQM

How do you feel about this ?

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

Not a big fan of 2 in 1 but the spec and price look very nice. Do you think there is a way to reinforce the hinge of a laptop before it breaks?

There is nothing you can really do to reinforce a laptop hinge. The best you can do is to properly close it, and that is to grab both top corners (don't touch the screen) and pull it down evenly. Part of the reason I brought up the 2-in-1 is because they have hinges that are extra reinforced to allow that full screen rotation. Normally I don't like them either since it's usually just a gimmick to mark up the laptop, but that one's priced well. So think of it like a regular laptop but with a supper reinforced hinge. Not to mention 2-in-1's are generally really thin, like you want, to make them usable as a tablet. 

It's nice, but since it has a dedicated GPU and a less power efficient CPU it's only rated for 5 hours of light web browsing, IE best case senerio you'll get 5 hours and more likely then not it'll only go for 3 or 4 hours. The whole "Y40" line from Lenovo has been receiving sketchy reviews. With the ones that use the screen that one has, apparently the screen is so washed out that you have to crank the brightness all the way up (thus draining the battery faster) to be able to use it in a public environment- like school.   

#8 Jingorito

Jingorito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:27 PM

Thanks so much. I am really considering buying this. I am sorrrrrry but I just saw another model of Acer Aspire

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-R7-371T-78UV-Touchscreen-Broadwell/dp/B00TVRH2UO/ref=pd_cp_147_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=19G1C0ZGKR23MP67EPEG

This one has a i7 CPU compared to the i5 of another. But it is describes as having 8 hours of battery life(compared to the other one which has 10 hours)

It is a bit cheaper with the sale.

Is it worth buying than the other one?

Edited by Jingorito, 17 July 2015 - 08:28 PM.

#9 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

Thanks so much. I am really considering buying this. I am sorrrrrry but I just saw another model of Acer Aspire

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-R7-371T-78UV-Touchscreen-Broadwell/dp/B00TVRH2UO/ref=pd_cp_147_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=19G1C0ZGKR23MP67EPEG

This one has a i7 CPU compared to the i5 of another. But it is describes as having 8 hours of battery life(compared to the other one which has 10 hours)

It is a bit cheaper with the sale.

Is it worth buying than the other one?

The 3 difference it has over the other-

1: It uses a higher resolution screen, 2560 x 1440 instead of the standard 1920 x 1080. Means it draws more power to be able to drive the higher resolution screen. 

The 2560 x 1440 doesn't suffer all compatibility issues that UHD 3840 x 2160 does, but everything will appear so small on the already small screen that it might not be usable for you unless you feel like messing around in the windows UI scaling settings to try to make everything bigger. Even then though programs might have trouble scaling up and you might end up turning the resolution down to 1920 x 1080 anyways.

2: The CPU it uses is the exact same chip physically, but it's clocked higher and thus consumes more power because of it.

Don't know why they put them in skinny little laptops like that. The small form factor keeps them from being properly cooled and they will drop themselves down to the same speed as the i5 variant anyways to keep themselves form burning up.  

3: It uses gorilla glass. Means the screen is really really really hard to break. 

Think if anything it's a million times better just for that reasons. Half of the laptops I've owned have had their screens broken and am extremely happy to see a laptop with GorillaGlass to counteract the problem. 

Definitely like it over the other one for the GorillaGlass alone. Just make sure to turn down the resolution to 1080p (1920 x 1080) if you get it to help with the battery life and insure a better ease or use without having to squint to see tiny text/icons. 

#10 Jingorito

Jingorito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

Just ordered! Thank you so much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users