Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

We choose to go to the Moon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:26 PM

America used to be able to do things.

Apollo 11.  July 16, 1969.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:13 PM

The proud days of Camelot! This once great country could do little wrong. Now look at us. Don't even get me started.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:46 PM

Shooting piano sized spacecraft right out to Pluto for some snazzy pics is pretty cool. Surely counts as something? Rovers on Mars, Hubble telescope, mass array telescope... Just because the US isn't taking the risk of putting men in compromising situations doesn't mean it's not doing anything.

Though it does seem to be spending far more time and effort killing liberating and imprisoning people than conducting space exploration, these days.

#4 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:07 PM

Spirit left Earth in 2003.

New Horizons left Earth in 2006.

Curiosity left Earth in 2012.

The United States hasn't had the ability to put a human into space since 2011.

The James Webb Space Telescope launch has been delayed (again) from 2011 to 2018.

And, yes, the federal government's war on everything is keeping the prisons full.

moon-landing.jpg

Edited by JWebb, 17 July 2015 - 10:10 PM.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:49 AM

We really need to be putting a man on mars soon, and we need an apollo program style effort to combat climate change as well. Huge programs to achieve both those aims would be a brilliant way to improve the economy, for every dollar placed into the apollo program the US got about 6 dollars back, they would alos lead to technological developments which would filter out and eventually improve the lives of everyone, those projects are too big for one country to tackle alone so doing them would alos encourage international co-operation. Perhaps countries would stop decalaring war upon each other and spying upon each other if they were all busy developing a manned mars rocket and building nuclear reactors and hydrogen cars (the latter two to combat climate change).

The current achievements of NASA and also ESA in space are extraordinary, they could be even more extraordinary if science and space exploration got the funding they deserve, as it is though vast sums of money are effectively burnt away in bureaucracy and on projects unworthy of time or effort, wars also consume huge amount of resources, why can't humantiy just get over it's differences, agree to disgagree and unite for common goals (there are plenty of things which every human on earth stands to benefit from).

The dvelopment of nuclear fusion (the energy source which mankind is going to have to develop if we want civilisation to survive beyond the next few centuries) needs to be mankind's first priority, instead we wrap ourselves up in petty disputes and in financial crises (which could generally be cured by just rewriting a few numbers in a few computers somewhere) and all other science should be the second priority (science made the modern world, everything else is just a thin layer sitting on top of the scientific basis and trying to steal the credit for progress), I estimate that unless every government worldwide commits 15% of it's spending to science then civilisation will collapse as soon as oil runs out and we find that we have been too stupid to develop a better energy source within time.

P.S. the Kennedy speech your title refers to is one of the very few things a politician has ever said which is inspiring, but nowadays they are all to self-interested in short term personal gain to see what really needs to be done.

Edited by rp88, 18 July 2015 - 11:51 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:07 PM

Wow, why does any of the next missions have to be manned??  We're smart enough to build robots to conduct experiments and collect  specimens.  We need to find cheap sources for raw materials to build habitats before we even think about sending anyone beyond the moon.  The moon offers a unique place to conduct some serious quantum physics at reduced gravities.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:58 PM

Source: wikimedia

900px-NASA-Budget-Federal.svg.png

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

Animal post #7, obscenely low percentage. Given the fact that it is science which made the modern world, it is science which improves and saves lives, science (all of science including but not limited to space exploration) is severaly undervalued by governments (all governments, not just the US).
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

July 20, 1969.  Tranquility Base here.  The Eagle has landed.

#10 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

What did the US government spend money on in 1968?

Losing a shooting war?

Losing the "War on Poverty"?

It's a good thing we didn't call the Space Race the Space War.

I'm sure that consolidating NASA operations in Houston took a chunk of money.  President Johnson would have put the launch facilities in Texas if he could.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users