Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Airtel & MTNL injecting ads into websites you visit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:42 PM

Internet providers like Airtel & MTNL are now intercepting your browsing data, and injecting it with additional ads & JavaScript code.

‘Water-boarding at Guantanamo Bay’ sounds like an adventurous weekend activity, to those who don’t have any idea about it.

Hopefully this post will help you to understand better — about what’s happening with you right now, without you even realising it.

Their goal? Is quiet simple is to earn additional revenue from us. Yes, additional revenue on the connections & services that we’ve already paid for!

To illustrate this with an analogy, it is like:
• Your car audio system inserting its own ads between songs you’re playing via your iPod.
• Your cell phone provider squeezing ad messages into your WhatsApp conversations with friends.
• Your phone calls being interrupted by an audio ad every hour.
• The pizza delivery guy swapping out one slice of your pizza with something you didn’t order.

Here’s an example of what it looks like on MTNL. It’s not so easy to spot, since it only happens very occasionally:

Airtel & MTNL injecting ads into websites you visit to earn additional revenue and snoop on you

That's just sneaky and underhanded. Wouldn't that equal hacking ?

Edited by NickAu, 16 July 2015 - 09:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

well I do say it would, if you can't 'opt out' well then it would sort of be equal to hacking

they call me te java mayster

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

Would this sort of thing be effectively blocked by normal ad blocking extensions/add-ons, or would the fact that it is coming from the ISP mean ad blockers would not see it?
What about scriptblocking, would that stop it?
Also what about tor or other VPN systems, I would expect that users using those would not suffer this injection of adverts.

The key question is what will happen when one of the adverts being displayed turns out to be a malicious advert, and the victim of the malvertising realises where the advert has come from...

Edited by rp88, 18 July 2015 - 11:58 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

well than I do believe they would switch to a different VPN

they call me te java mayster

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

...That's just sneaky and underhanded. Wouldn't that equal hacking ?

No. It is how the market works...always looking for ways to generate more revenue and profit. However, folks can always speak with their wallets and chose another ISP.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

In India, Airtel has been accused of a lot of unethical methods to make money and this is one among them.
I'm surprised to see mtnl is also involved in this s**t....
What bothers even more is " Your landline phone number is used as an identifier for the ads. Combine this with the above point, and it’s a ridiculous breach of privacy (not to mention potential for tele-marketing)."
Sharing customer's contact no. is something more serious. May be they are trying to squeeze maximum from users before some sort of net neutrality is in effect here.....
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users