Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP AHCI help, please!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goldensaber

goldensaber

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

I need help figuring out how to change my IDE to SATA in XP home. I am going crazy.
I CANNOT -
change drivers via hardware manager
double-click a .reg file (It says script is incorrect. It needs to be binary).
Don't have a clue what a 'Remote hive' is.
I have slip-streamed before, but XP is already installed
My set-up is dual boot XP 32 / Win 7 64 bit. I am tired of changing the BIOS. Gigabyte AX88
The .sys file is in the \system32\drivers folder.
I have all files needed for a floppy. Alot good that does me.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

I don't think XP will boot in AHCI, but 7 will;  so if you want AHCI, you'll have to forego booting in XP, and I'm not sure you can even boot at all, except in ATA, if XP is first in the boot list, and AHCI is off.  XP can only boot in ATA, at least on the i5 machines I newly installed it to (32-bit, Pro).  Maybe someone else has a better answer, but I see no alternative to what you're doing now.

Edited by brainout, 18 July 2015 - 06:15 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:17 AM

What I gather your problem is...is that you seem to think that to dual-boot XP and 7 without changing boot drive via the BIOS...you must set the system to AHCI.

All you have to do is use EasyBCD (install it in either the XP or the Win 7 install) and follow the directions for recognizing both installs and then change the boot files and set the default O/S you want.  The result will be a dual-boot option at system startup where you can easily select the O/S you want to enter.

Louis

#4 goldensaber

goldensaber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

My system is already a dual-boot. You are partially correct. If I want to boot into Win 7, I have to change the BIOS to AHCI. If I want to boot into

XP, I have to change the BIOS to IDE. What I want to do, Is eliminate this hassle by changing the IDE controllers in XP to SATA. It HAS been done

by others (as my research has shown). But I'll be damned if I can do it. These 'tutorials' I run into have outdated programs, or I'll get so close

and then there's a snafu. I was just hopeful someone had a sure-fire way to do this. My boards BIOS has to be changed back to IDE or XP

will give me a BSOD when loading. Thanks anyways.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

As I said...EasyBCD is the way to solve this.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users