Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Was Wondering Which Is Better

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dave518

dave518

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

im new to computers so i dont know too much but ive heard about putting harddrives in RAID 0 to so things can run much faster and i was wondering which would be faster two 7,200 rpm drives in RAID 0 or a single 10,000 rpm drive

also ive read that its somewhat dangerous to use RAID 0 because data can be lost on both drives if one gets messed up, i never had a harddrive issue before so do comments of RAID 0 being dangerous not really apply?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dave518

dave518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:59 PM

does anyone have any thoughts on this at all?

any ideas at all is a good help to me

thanks

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:21 AM

im new to computers so i dont know too much but ive heard about putting harddrives in RAID 0 to so things can run much faster and i was wondering which would be faster two 7,200 rpm drives in RAID 0 or a single 10,000 rpm drive

also ive read that its somewhat dangerous to use RAID 0 because data can be lost on both drives if one gets messed up, i never had a hard drive issue before so do comments of RAID 0 being dangerous not really apply?

Yep, it will happen. That is because the information is split between two drives. If you have it all on one drive and something happens you may be able to recover some of your information. I am not saying you will lose everything I am saying you will need an expert to recover it and they still may not be able to. If in RAID 1 you have the OS corrupted a coached novice can use common programs to recover data. I would believe it would be safer and less complicated to use 1 drive with a large cache (16Mb). I believe from what I understand you would better off investing in more RAM than a RAID controller and ultra-high speed (10k or 15k) hard drives.
I would recommend 2 drives. one for your Operating System and programs and one for your data. If you have to reinstall windows your unique or creative data will already be relatively safe on the second drive. Unless you are into high end gaming stick with the 7200rpm drive. IMHO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:26 AM

RAID hasn't shown much use for the average home user. Heck, it hasn't shown any real-world performance for the high-end game either. It's for servers that need that high bandwidth, even still, they can use SCSI drives for that bandwidth.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 dave518

dave518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:00 PM

acklan, when u said "I would recommend 2 drives. one for your Operating System and programs and one for your data" what kind of data do you mean if i have the operating system and programs on one, what would go on the second drive?

thanks for your help, it was very informative

#6 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

He means music, photos, word documents, anything you wouldnt want to lose in the event of a C: failure :thumbsup:

#7 dave518

dave518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:46 PM

thanks, i get it now

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:12 PM

Yep, that is what I meant. Anything you cannot reinstall. Don't bother saving programs. If you have to reins6tall XP you will have to reinstal all of your programs. The are inter woven with XP and cannot be saved.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users