Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying same file on same hard disk: some copies are corrupted

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

On an external USB drive, WD Elements, 4TB some files obviously became corrupted after copying them on the same drive (the files are not copied from another drive). And I copied the same file a few times to another folder and the same folder and some of the copies have a different check sum.

What could I do to find out what the reason is for it?

Edited by Dirkk, 16 July 2015 - 05:59 PM.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

Am I understanding you to say that you are copying a file from one folder/partition to another folder/partition on an external drive and experiencing errors while copying from the external drive to any other location can be done error free? Does the size of the file make any difference?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:32 AM

Am I understanding you to say that you are copying a file from one folder/partition to another folder/partition on an external drive and experiencing errors while copying from the external drive to any other location can be done error free?

Very sorry for my bad expression, no: on an external USB drive, WD Elements, 4TB there are many files stored, for example an archive (rar, zip). I copy (a few times) this archive (for example named archive.rar) to a folder on the same drive, e.g. from P:\Test to P: on that drive (WD Elements, 4TB). After copying archive.rar the copied archive.rar here, P:, has a different check sum than the original archive.rar here, P:\Test. And trying to unzip (e.g. with WinRAR) it causes an error message saying something like about a corrupted file in that archive.rar.

I copied archive.rar a few times, sometimes the check sum is the same sometimes it is not, so sometimes the file is corrupted, sometimes it is not.

Does the size of the file make any difference?

No, it doesn't, always the same size is shown.

Many thanks, Dick

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:11 AM

What I'm thinking is that there is a, sometimes, delay in the transfer from the external drive to the computer and back to the external drive.

My question about file size was - does it make a difference if you copy a small file versus copying a large file? [incorrectly stated by me - sorry]

What is your operating system and how is that drive formatted? Are there any partitions on the drive?

Dick

Dick E

#5 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

What I'm thinking is that there is a, sometimes, delay in the transfer from the external drive to the computer and back to the external drive.

Hmmm, so when I copy a file on P: (the external USB drive) from a folder on P: to another folder on P: (not copying a file from the internal drive of the Notebook to or from P:) information needed to somehow control the (copying) process are delayed (but why is there no error message?) sometimes so it cannot properly be controlled by something that controls the process (in the Notebook, computer)? Actually, something like that was my (really having any idea of anything) thought either. When I plugged in the USB plug the first times the external drive was not shown, after a few times and waiting finally the P: drive was shown. And some time ago with another Notebook (same manufacturer) I had some kind of the same problem: when unzipping / downloading archives to (or on, I do not remember anymore at the moment) a 2,5 external 640 GB drive (A:) sometimes they were corrupted.

And with another older external hard disk, 1TB, some weeks ago I had problems also, the cable USB connection to the Notebook (the same with the P: drive) obviously got interrupted 2 times while copying, I don't know why. May be there is a connection to the P: drive. But other drives appear to work.

Is there a program which could find out if there is such a delay? Crystal Disk Info or such?

My question about file size was - does it make a difference if you copy a small file versus copying a large file?

I do not know at the moment, I didn't try. I just had copied some archives (about 60 MB to about 150 MB) to test. At the moment, respectively since last night I run that "Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics - DLGDIAG" (http://i.imgur.com/0PIPeaD.png) program to check the drive with the extended option. So I cannot access it. It is displayed to be last until tomorrow, so it will still take a day or so.

What is your operating system and how is that drive formatted? Are there any partitions on the drive?

Win 7, formated the usual way, NTFS. I did a quick format after buying it (full formating lasts about 2 days for 4TB, I guess). No, there is no partition.

Edited by Dirkk, 17 July 2015 - 12:03 PM.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

Is your W7 x32 or x64?

I'm not really sure a 4GT NTFS format is all that stable for w7x64, which could be part of the problem.

Dick E

#7 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

It is Win 7, 64 bit.

I'm not really sure a 4GT NTFS format is all that stable for w7x64, which could be part of the problem.

Sorry, what exactly does that mean?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

should read 4GB NTFS format

I know that x32 can't read more than about 2GB

and that a different scheme is being used for large drives running W8.x and above

It's GPT and I'm not sure what the limit is with that scheme

Dick

Dick E

#9 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:41 PM

I am afraid, I do not understand a word, sorry for this.

But thank you very much anyway, Dick.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users