Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird behavior, possible PSU failing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paddyboyfloyd

paddyboyfloyd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

Having an issue in my high end machine that I custom built 5-6 years ago.  The last two times it's powered down due to power outages (my battery failed and am getting a new one, but my cheapness kept me from getting it sent expedited and I'm regretting it) I have had no response from the power button or shorting the power leads unless I unplug it completely for atleast 10 minutes.  Any thoughts on PSU vs motherboard?  My machine is a high end Core2Quad machine with dual RAIDs and if the board is fine, I'd prefer not to replace my entire chipset with a new board and 4 core i5.  Any software available to specifically test the power load on the PSU and/or mainboard?  I'm getting solid voltages off the PSU when my rig is up, but the downtime is starting to annoy me.  Haven't visually inspected the board for bubbled capacitors yet due to lack of time, but I'll be doing that this weekend as well.  Unfortunately this time of year in central FL, I can expect a couple of power outages of brief duration per week.  When online, my machine plays any game I want and renders video great.  

Thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:55 PM

A power supply working doesn't necessarily mean it's good. It could be failing to regulate power under heavy loads. No software or multitester can test that. Only a qualified repair shop with a oscilloscope can. They can test loads and at what point the psu is failing. it can just be a cheap psu or bad caps inside the PSU. Generally you throw it out and buy a new one. There are dangerous high voltage caps in there. Something you don't want to mess with. Yes bad caps on the motherboard will cause what it's doing. Could be failing memory sticks. Could be the cpu or video card overheating. A low voltage bios battery will cause the computer to suddenly reboot. The bios will start to fail when the battery is 2.6v and below. You can check the bios battery in the bios itself sometimes it shows voltages. I would say run speccy but speccy is known to show wrong voltages. Best to check them in bios or some other software. Could be a dying harddrive with bad clusters. Do a chkdsk /r on it. Speccy does show harddrive SMART health.

Edited by technonymous, 17 July 2015 - 12:51 AM.

#3 paddyboyfloyd

paddyboyfloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

I've run basic voltage tests and stress tests and have gamed and played movies on it when it's online.  It's just when it's been powered off, it takes like 20 minutes of being plugged in (new symptom) before it'll turn on.  I'm thinking my PSU is failing and will get a known good PSU for testing if I don't spot bubbled capacitors on the motherboard.  

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:35 PM

If you have to wait like that then yeah it sounds like something is failing. Probably overheating and the cooling fan is shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users