Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD When Playing Moderately Intensive Games

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SickSnappy

SickSnappy

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:18 PM

After maybe 10 minutes of playing games such as CS:GO and L4D2, the computer will blue screen.

Oddly enough, I can play League of Legends and Hearthstone for hours on end without a problem. Ran sfc /scannow and returned with no errors.

Most recent BSoD. Occurred while playing Dirty Bomb.

Edit: Tried this to fix it and came back with a different error. Again, while playing Dirty Bomb.

Edit 2: Going to run Memtest tonight while I sleep.

System Specs:
Asus M5A97 LE R.20
AMD FX-4300
GTX 770
1x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1333
Corsair HX 750W 80 Plus Gold

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 July 2015 - 02:25 AM.
Moved to proper forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:19 AM

I would check the memory timings you might pushing that 1333 memory stick to hard. The cpu can handle memory modules up to 1866. By the way you would get much better performance running dual channel. What about your video card is it overheating, OCed what? Download speccy and publish a link and also If you could upload the dump file that would be great. It's in the windows/minidump.

#3 SickSnappy

SickSnappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:29 AM

I would check the memory timings you might pushing that 1333 memory stick to hard. The cpu can handle memory modules up to 1866. By the way you would get much better performance running dual channel. What about your video card is it overheating, OCed what? Download speccy and publish a link and also If you could upload the dump file that would be great. It's in the windows/minidump.

Not too familiar with Memory timings and all that but I'd imagine they were fine after restoring all my hardware to default settings? If I'm wrong in assuming so, could you help in understanding?

I ordered two sticks way back when I built the system but only got one... figured it didn't really matter.

I monitored CPU and GPU temps up until the Blue Screen a while back and they were fine.

I used to have the GPU, CPU, and Memory all oc'd until I ran into this problem and brought everything back to stock in an attempt to solve it.

Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LMR57B05bjc1raEypv457Nu

Here are the dumps from yesterday and today.

http://speedy.sh/SPBzU/071515-15194-01.dmp

Edited by SickSnappy, 17 July 2015 - 01:29 AM.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:04 AM

Having a hard time loading the speccy snapshot their servers seem down.

Edit: Working now give me a few to look this over.

Edited by technonymous, 17 July 2015 - 02:07 AM.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:28 AM

Well the cpu is running fine temps 21c memory is fine. Memory is running fine as far it's speeds goes. I am concerned over the Heating issue with your Hard drives. 50-52c is hot. I would check fans in the front and clean vents. Mount one drive higher away form the other to allow air to go in between them. I'll look at the dump file.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:36 AM

First minidump says your nvidia drivers was the cause. nvlddmkm.sys Update you nvidia drivers. I'll download the other mini dumps. One of the other dump files said ntfs.sys file caused the bsod. That probably has something to do with hd temps. Could try replacing the ntfs.sys file from the winsxs store. probably a locked file you would have to do it booting from a repair disk to get into console. However,  I would update the video card drivers and remedy that hd heating issue.

Edited by technonymous, 17 July 2015 - 02:53 AM.

#7 SickSnappy

SickSnappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

Well so far I have completely removed anything Nvidia related and then clean installed the latest GPU Driver. Now I'm scanning with Kaspersky and SuperAntiSpyware. When those are done I'm gonna try and get a blue screen while monitoring the HDD temps to confirm your suspicions.

If you're correct then I'll wait until tomorrow so I can get some duster and clean my PC too.

Edited by SickSnappy, 17 July 2015 - 08:26 PM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:13 PM

Some computer cases use those plastic mounting brackets or gromets. They help vibration noises, but a metal screw mounted directly to the the HD through the metal case chassis helps wick away that heat. You also want to avoid stacking drives close to each other. You want space between them so the front fan can blow air through there. Heat is very destructive for HD. It can corrupt data because of the heat expansion of the platters corrupts data that is magnetically written to the surface. It's bad for the bearings in the motor as well.

Edited by technonymous, 17 July 2015 - 11:14 PM.

#9 SickSnappy

SickSnappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

So I cleaned my computer out and moved the hard drives farther apart as well as screwed them in. After that didn't work, I called up a buddy and he let me use his ram. Lo and behold, it works just fine now. Strangely enough, whenever I try to use my ram stick after taking it out, the computer won't even post.

Edit: A day after I swapped ram and I tried the single 8 gig stick again and it works. Don't know what the issue with posting was... gonna see if I get a blue screen while gaming with it again.

Edit 2: This time it crashed as soon as I double clicked to launch Dirty Bomb, then while rebooting, it crashed when it reached the Windows screen.

Edited by SickSnappy, 20 July 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:49 PM

Well if you oced it in the past you may have damaged it. You can do a memory test downloading the iso and boot it & let it run over night. http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm That was going to be my next suggestion. Again. it may or may not show errors and that doesn't necessarily mean it still isn't causing problems. It could be motherboard related and just doesn't work well with that brand. That is why you go by the motherboards data sheet of supported memory that has been tested by the factory. The cpu is rated for 1866 memory and wants to run at that speed. Putting a single 1333 memory in there is severely limiting it and that may have everything to do with it. Look through the data sheet and buy a pack of two 1866 memory moduels either 2x4g or 2x8g. If problems persist then it's something else motherboard etc.

#11 SickSnappy

SickSnappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:29 PM

Okay, then I'm thinking, since the cpu is rated for 1866, it throttled the 1600 down to 1333 for compatibility. Would that make sense?

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, that doesn't really make sense to me. I'm just trying to figure out why, by default, my PC set the memory to 1333 when it's clearly 1600.

Also, I ordered 2x4GB 1600 when Ironside Computers (The company I got my pc from) just gave me 1x8GB instead. Those bastards.

Edited by SickSnappy, 20 July 2015 - 11:37 PM.

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:29 AM

Well by default whent he bios is reset it drops the memory down to 1333. This way there is no conflicts in the memory and the system not booting. You have to manually change the settings and timing that the memory says on it. It's possible that it was set at 1600 and became unstable so it drops it down to lower speed. If you OCed it in the past it may have damaged it. It may just be shoddy memory from the get go. The motherboard may not support it. There is lots of reasons. That's why I stress to look up the motherboards data sheets, it tells you what was tested brands and speed and what type of configurations. Since you mentioned that Ironside just threw in some memory stick.... Who knows It could of been used memory sitting in the drawer somewhere and they put it in and since the computer POST's then hey it WORKS! When actually it's a piece of garbage. Best bet is to download the memory datasheet and go by that buying memory. Also run some memtest86 tests.

Edited by technonymous, 21 July 2015 - 01:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users