Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Video card issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Linuxrocks

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

OK a family member has had a HP pavilion desktop computer since Christmas I wasn't the one who purchased it. I'd like to list all the specs but honestly I don't know what they are and neither does the owner and I have never been able to get enough time on it to find out in device manager.

What I do know is its an 8 core i7 with a nvidia graphics card, 8GB of RAM and windows 8.1 all listed on the box but no more specifics.

This computer has a blank screen with no video output, it just went blank when in use. It usually flashes the HP logo before windows startup when powered on but now it doesn't implying that there is no BIOS/EFI firmware communication with the video card either so I don't think this is a windows 8.1 issue such as a driver. Further supporting that is the fact that I can put the computer into sleep mode by pushing the power button once as is configured in power options and the fact that I can discover the computer identified by its name once the network from other machines.

We normally use a DVI-I to VGA converter to the screen as it is an older screen so at first I thought the screen might be broken as there is no signal, however I have tried the DVI to a HDTV, the HDMI out to the same TV, and the DVI-I to the TV'S analog VGA input and still no signal so I am sure this is a video card issue.

There is a noise coming from the PC which sounds like a fan running at full speed which I am assuming is the GPU fan it is strange though because it sounds like the noise is at the front where the hard drive is and there is also a grinding noise sometimes but I am sure windows is loading perfectly which rules out the hard drive.

I have studied computing and am fairly proficient in fixing computers so I am fairly sure this is a video card issue and I could swap the PCIe card out but we don't want to spend money in a new card so we are looking for a refund of a repair under Warrenty so that rules out opening the case. The problem with the refund is that we have data on there which was never backed up by the owner and we will lose it even though the HDD is fine.

Any way to get the data off without opening the case? Any way to get a video output without the graphics card like with some sort of USB3 to HDMI adapter?

Help is appreciated.

EDIT:Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread by mistake sorry. Could a moderator please move this to the correct section?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 17 July 2015 - 06:48 PM.
Moved to 'Internal hardware'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,077 posts
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

Does this computer have on board video as well as the nVidia graphics card ?  If it does, you could try connecting a monitor to that output to see if you get anything on screen.

To get data off a hard drive without being able to see a screen and without opening the case - tricky !  Did anybody set up network sharing before it went down ?  If you can access the computer across a network and if sharing is set you should be able to get the data off it.

If all else fails, I would speak to your supplier about them copying the data off it, it might involve a small fee but you are talking about taking it back under warranty in any case and this is something they cannot be unused to.

For the future, Piriform's 'Speccy' is an excellent little tool for getting a computers specs, it's a free download from BC, and introduce your relative to the concept of 'backups'!

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Linuxrocks

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:11 AM

Like I said I never get enough time to use this Computer because the relatives are always on I am not able to install anything.

They won't listen abut backups. I have a large hard drive for backups and they don't want me to pay for another for them even though I offered and they do not trust cloud backups with Microsoft account or Norton. In fact I don't either and I have files from all sorts of programs stored on my backup drive too large for the cloud. No network sharing is set up all I can confirm is that the computer name is coming up but no access to files.

They dont even know most basics about setting these things up. Time to buy them a Mac yet? Lol.

No integrated intel HD graphics card or if there is its not connected to any video output on the board, I thought all i7 came with intel HD.

I'm now wondering if a USB to HDMI output will work. Does windows really need all that GPU power or can it send video out through the USB port without all that processing power?

I'm thinking one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-usb-30-to-hdmi-adapter-n27lz

If windows is running and there is no problem with the HDD then windows should be able to recognize this thing as a USB device am I right? Most things like this for windows are plug and play. I don't need BIOS access so it doesn't matter if it's not recognized by it as long as windows can communicate with it right?

Edited by Linuxrocks, 18 July 2015 - 07:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users