Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Crashing on Login Screen (on BSOD and PC Stays, but Power Button Doesn't Wok)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lxno78

Lxno78

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

My PC crashes on the login screen, the screen goes black, but the PC stays on. The power button stops working (I can't hold it down to shut it off) so I have to shut the PSU off.

The problem occurs with a pattern too. It crashes every other time and always at the log in screen. So, I can boot up fine, then I boot up and crash at log in, boot up fine, boot up crash at log in... That's the way it happens.

Tests I've Done so Far:

- Removed one stick of RAM. PC Still crashes.

- Removed GPU and left in only one stick of RAM.  PC Still crashes. Without the GPU in, right before the PC crashes the monitor distorts heavily and then horizontal fuzzy green lines slowly fade over it before it goes black.

- I ran memtest on the one stick of RAM for 16 hours (3 passes), I had zero errors.

- Also, I was getting help from here, but I was told to move the question over to hardware at this point.

- I don't think Windows is creating a dump file as my PC says that C:\windows\minidump cannot be located.

Things I Did Before the Crashes Started Happening:

- Ran Malware scan and found Broken.OpenCommand, asked on forums and was told to run SecurityCheck.exe, Farbar Service Scanner , AdwCleaner, and Junkware Removal Tool (perhaps something was accidentally cleaned or changed automatically)?

(My computer is clean.)

- I installed AMD Overdrive to use only for monitoring CPU temperatures. I never touched any setting, but I'm wondering if just running the program has automatically changed a setting or BIOS setting.

- The last two pieces of hardware I installed were the PSU (to replace the very bad Logisys one that came with the case) and the graphics card (I have since taken the graphics card out and the problem still occurs).

System Specs:

Motherboard: msi, 760GMA-P34 (FX) series [MS-7641 (v5.1)]

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz

RAM: 8GB Klevv Neo

PSU: Sea Sonic S12II-520Bronze Power supply - 520 Watt

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 1 GB GDDR5

Case: logisys 368RB

Operating System: Windows 8.1

People with Similar Problems:

- 'No Signal' from monitor. Power button won't work when turning computer off.

(Title is supposed to say NO BSOD and doesn't Work)

Edited by Lxno78, 16 July 2015 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:33 AM

Never mind. I figured it out. It was AMD Overdrive causing the issue. Although I was only using it to monitor thermal margins. Disabling the AODService on startup (through MSConfig) has fixed my issue.

Edited by Lxno78, 17 July 2015 - 10:12 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users