Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google announces more protection against Unwanted Programs and Adware

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

Google announced today that they are expanding Safe Browsing to issue more warnings regarding Unwanted Software, or as what we like to call them, PUPs. In the coming weeks, Google will be rolling out an update for Google's Safe Browsing program that will issue more warnings when you visit sites that try to trick you into installing unwanted software.

uws.png
Photo courtesy of Google

Adware, PUPs, and Hijackers are becoming an ever increasing problem, especially considering they are not considered illegal at this time. Any programs that offer protection against these types of programs are welcome ones.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

Nice to see them taking action, what are they going to do about stuff that bundles google toolbar? :wink:

Also, I am wondering how long they'll keep the word "attackers" in that warning..... 

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

Like Elise.....I see this as much as self serving as serving all users.....killing the competition....THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

Not that I disagree, but don't forget that Google does offer its safebrowsing service in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

#5 Pierre (aka Terdef)

Pierre (aka Terdef)

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:18 PM

Hum...

Not sure it will be inserted in Safe Browsing for FF and Safari.

In the coming weeks, these detection improvements will become more noticeable in Chrome:

Can be a deal to boost Chrome at the moment when laments come from all sides against Chrome, and more generally against Google with its encirclement of Internet users policy.

#6 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

All is well as long as nobody touches Google's own tracking cookies and ads I guess.

#7 Pluto

Pluto

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:40 AM

I see a racket scheme as well when companies engaged in fighting malware are as well engaged in discovering all your secrets. I wouldn't rely on Google's protection at the cost of my privacy; rather external extensions, add-ons when it comes to the browser, system-wide tools also and otherwise do exist with no privacy involvement.

Posted Image

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,200 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:21 AM

You should be okay as long as you carefully read and investigate (sadly that is necessary) what information is shared by legitimate applications when you agree to install them. If they do not conform to your requirements of privacy, then do not install or use them. 

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#9 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

I'm not crazy about Chrome, I wonder if Google will stop getting companies to bundle it with downloads. 

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:11 AM

As far as I know, Google Chrome is only bundled with Adobe products if you download them from Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox, and you can opt it out before downloading the installer. Or if you download another Google product (like Google Earth) without being on Google Chrome.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:36 AM

Avast free used to bundle Chrome. Not sure if they still do that though, last time it was only DropBox.

regards, Elise

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

They are bundling Dropbox now last time I checked as well. Never seen them bundling Chrome thought :o

Edited by Aura, 20 July 2015 - 07:51 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:08 PM

I teach at a school in Bangkok that is totally Goggle-fied, all our on-line communications and shared documents, supplemental info for the courses we teach, and most of our communications with the outside world, all use Google. I had to create my own page when I began there, the first time I'd ever done that, and while it was interesting, it was at times a frustrating experience, not to mention becoming acquainted with many Google apps.

I agree that although Google may make this sound somewhat 'noble', as several of the above posters have mentioned, like any other company, it has its own bottom line at heart. 

Edited by PGHinBKK, 20 July 2015 - 11:11 PM.

Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

#14 Grimmskld

Grimmskld

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

I was wondering about this recently while I attempted to download adwCleaner + JRT, it kept prompting me, and wouldn't actually allow me to get push them through.  At first, thought it was more malware/adware.  I can see this change being great for the average user, but not as much for the more advanced ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users