Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video blanking issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigdhouston

bigdhouston

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:59 PM

I was called by a customer this morning about a computer that had "gone to sleep and wouldn't wake up."

The symptom was that when the WIndows login screen appeared the screen went black and wouldn't come back on. Only a reboot would bring it back up, and again only for a couple of seconds. They had tried a different monitor with the same results. When I arrive at the customer's, I found that the screen had a "no signal" message on the screen which was not surprising since there had been no activity for an hour. Using my laptop, I VNC'd into the computer got full video. On the computer's monitor, the "no signal" message went away, but the screen remained blank. Other than the video, the computer is fully operational, and can be controlled via the VNC session.

The problem appears to be hardware related. Here are the tests that I tried:

In Windows - changed the video mode via VNC. Each time the mode changed, the monitor would display for about two seconds then blank.

During boot:

In POST - Banner displays for two seconds, then blanks

- Boot summary displays for two seconds, then blanks

In Windows - "Starting Windows" screen displays for two seconds, then blanks

In Windows - "Select user" screen displays for two seconds, then blanks

The monitor never shows "no signal" until there has been ample time of inactivity to go into sleep mode. So, the monitor must be recognizing some type of signal.

Hardware is:

Motherboard - Gigabyte G31M-ES2L

Memory - 2 GB

Monitor - Acer AL1914

OS - Windows 7 - 32 bit

Any and all words of wisdom or adult supervision will be appreciated.

Dennis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bigdhouston

bigdhouston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:13 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that if I turn the monitor off, and back on, or if I unplug the video cable and plug it back in, the video will display for a copule of seconds before disappearing. Seems like it would be a monitor issue, but it does the same thing on another monitor.

Dennis

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

I'd be curious to know whether you get the same result in safe mode.  If it is a driver issue.  Did we try a different vga cable?  Any input on .. 'what happend when the screen went to sleep and wouldnt wake up or what were you doing when it happend?'(some type of infection/malware?)

Being able to vnc into it with the desktop working showing would then lean towards driver.  Since it DOES display video even for a short time. Could be the cable (pins) or the port (pins) maybe?

~ Does the screen come up and stay up if you enter the BIOS?

Edited by YeahBleeping, 16 July 2015 - 02:26 PM.

#4 bigdhouston

bigdhouston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the response, YeahBleeping.

Yes, the first test was swapping the monitors plus cables, then monitors only. Results were always the same, so it has to be in the box.

In BIOS, the same thing. First the banner screen prematurely blanks, then the BIOS progress screen comes up, then blanks after a little less than 2 seconds. I have tried entering Setup. Screen shows up, then blanks after a little less than 2 seconds. When I enter BIOS setup, the screen blanks, as well, making it VERY difficult to access settings.

The commonality is the time-to-blank always seems to be the same. The interesting part is that if I unplug the power off the monitor, when I turn it back on the monitor displays its logo screen for several seconds then displays the desktop, which again blanks as usual. The difference is that in all other cases the video mode changes are forced by the computer. However, when disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor the mode change is brought about by the interaction of the monitor and display adapter.

I am confounded. I will probably just take the easy way out, and add another adapter and kill the onboard adapter.

Still, I would like to know where this problem is coming from, so any help will be appreciated.

Dennis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users