Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions on TERA MMO?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

I've only heard good things about it so far (besides that it gets a bit grindy, but I don't mind).

Opinions while I wait for it to finish downloading? 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

looks pretty good in my opinion

go for your life!

they call me te java mayster

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

I didn't really care for the game.  I was told it was gong to be much like Vindictus in an MMO form which it clearly is not.  I am still waiting for a Vindictus type MMO.  I really enjoy the game play in Vindictus and I don't care for the game types that make you ' stop ' before you can shoot or cast a spell.  In Vindictus you can use the large build characters to spear the leg of a enemy connected with a chain you can pull him down / drag him around and allow your teamates to beat on him.  You can even spear an arm and keep him from being able to attack for some time;  I played Tera for about 6 months to give it the best shot I could at enjoying it.... I didn't.  But that doesn't mean you won't.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:42 PM

Been playing it for a bit now. Am level 44 out of 60 after about 40 hours. Love what I've seen so far. The combat is supper smooth. When you cast a spell/use a move it doesn't feeling as if you're using skill, it feels like you're doing it. They put so much work into the combat animations and reactions that go with them. It gives them life like no other MMO I've played before. You can't just use a powerful attack any time you want- you have time it, and wait for the right moment after a stun or when you have your opponent knocked down to be able to get enough time to use it. You can tell the power building up in any large attack you're using. It's like you can feel your characters struggle to use it everything's done so well. 

Maybe it's because I'm a single player I pay extra attention to at all the little details to focus on my own flow instead of spamming buttons to try and match my partners, or maybe it's just my class that has such a amazing feel, I don't know. 

Thing is, I came in with low expectations expecting bad combat, lots of grinding, and endless micro transactions, I expected a MMO. What I got instead was something closer to AAA game. Only real bad thing about it that feels MMO like is , even though being skilled can make you able to do things outside what you should be capable of, your level greatly determines what you can and can't do. Smartly picking armor and its configuration will help a lot, but anything 3 levels over you is impossible and you're impervious to anything 3 levels below you.

Oh, and the flow of the game outside of combat could use some work to. Is really boring for the most part. Supposedly the quest line has a very interesting and fun story, but the walls of text are so big and come so often I can't help but to skip them. The main quest line is not voice acted, it does the thing where everyone has various filler phrases they say. The combat makes up for it, but it's still annoying that none of the AI has any character to it like the combat does.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:39 AM

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I found the combat horrible compared to Vindictus ... When you shoot an arrow in Tera or perform an attack you cannot move and or your movement stops while you perform it.  To me .. that does not equate to smooth combat.  If you have ever played Vindictus you know what I am talking about.

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:23 PM

That's part of what makes it good. You can't just run in a straight line for a mile while shooting backwards to kill something 50 times your level. If you're good with your class you can take advantage of the kickback moves give you to move around while attacking, but that's part of the challenge. 

I know it's a bit off an off thing to point out, but in real life, any professional, or at least semi trained individual, will tell you that in a chase it's better stop, aim, and then shoot then it is to shoot while running to try to keep up. Goes for real life archers to. Running from a fight to try to win it is almost never a good strategy. Then to integrate that into a game... is really cheap. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users