Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons Take a minute to load upon start up: is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Randomtastic

Randomtastic

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:34 AM

Whenever I start up my PC, either from shutting it down or restarting it, upon going to my desktop, it takes a moment for my desktop icons to load. Is that normal? It's for a few seconds, close to a minute, never a prolonged amount of time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

Greetings, Randomtastic :)

Unfortunately, that is not normal.

Now, apart from the desktop icons delaying to appear, how is the overall performance of your operating system? Is it running smoothly or is it slow?

Edited by TinoNgombo, 16 July 2015 - 11:25 AM.

#3 Randomtastic

Randomtastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, everything else is running fine. Once I click on the icons, everything opens up and works. It just takes a few seconds for the icons to pop up on the desktop. They all load/appear at once.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

Open Task Manager and from Startup tab disable programs you don't want it to start when you login to Windows OS. 

Fragmentation makes your hard disk do extra work that can slow down your computer. Disk Defragmenter rearranges fragmented data so your hard disk can work more efficiently. Disk Defragmenter runs on a schedule, but you can also defragment your hard disk manually.

To defragment your hard disk
1. Open Disk Defragmenter by typing dfrgui.exe into Search charm.
2. Under Current status, select the disk you want to defragment.
3. To determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not, click Analyze disk. Once Windows is finished analyzing the disk, you can check the percentage of fragmentation on the disk in the Last Run column. If the number is above 5%, you should defragment the disk.
4. Click Optimize Button.

Windows_Disk_Defragmenter.png

Disk Defragmenter might take from several minutes to a few hours to finish, depending on the size and degree of fragmentation of your hard disk. You can still use your computer during the defragmentation process. But I advice you to not to use computer while defragmenting the hard disk for better result. For better Disk Defragmenter use Perfect Disk or Diskeeper they can defregment page file, registry hives and NTFS/FAT file system at boot time.

The Prefetch directory has one additional salutary function when used in conjunction with the built-in defragmenting tool. Every three days, during idle times, this utility rearranges program code, moving it to the outside of the disk to make it more efficient when loading (to force Windows to perform this optimization without having to do a full defragmentation, use the Defrag.exe command with the /b switch. For instance:
1. Open Command Prompt as administrator.
2. Type Defrag c: /b press Enter key.

Edited by FreeBooter, 16 July 2015 - 03:52 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Randomtastic

Randomtastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

Sorry for the delay in response! It was only 2% fragmented, so I didn't bother. However: my wife just bought a brand new computer and installed both Avira and Malwarebytes on to and now her desktop icons take a few seconds to load. I have both programs uploaded on my PC as well. That is about all she has downloaded and both start up with the PC. So it could just be those two programs?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

You should defragment even its 2% fragmented make sure you execute Defrag c: /b command, about computer starting slowly, start Task Manager and from Startup tab disable programs you don't want the program to start when you login. Also uninstall all malware software to see problem get resolved.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users