Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDS displays its logs on screen, but these are not the ones saved on the desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:00 AM

Hi all!

The developer sUBs has written two excellent anti-malware programs, called DDS (Doesn't Do Squat) and ComboFix. :thumbsup: But just for the record, ComboFix will of course not be the subject of this topic, so here goes; :busy:

DDS was the prerequisite program being used in the Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help topic, in order for members with infected computers to get expert help from the Malware Response Team. Now, however, it has actually been replaced by FRST. :whistle:

But DDS is still a great program in its class, as it picks up a few entries and has some features which FRST does not B) (which in my case are some NoDriveTypeAutoRun-lines as well as the date that my Windows OS was installed...)

Anyways, during my log's translation work from a mix of Norwegian and English to clean English, I have noticed that DDS displays its logs on screen (as it should), but these are actually not the ones saved on the desktop. Rather, their location is the %TEMP% folder. This has caused extra time for me to realize, and IMO this is a little unexpected... :blink:

Therefore, my resulting question is this: Is there any particular reason why it behaves this way, or is this by design?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:24 AM

DDS is non-invasive diagnostic tool (not an anti-malware program) created by sUBs that produces a Psuedo HijackThis Report, a scaled down and simplified version of 'HijackThis lines' which provides the same information in a more condensed format. Since DDS collects a lot of data, it is much more useful for malware detection, then later disinfection with other tools as you cannot fix any of the entries with this tool. DDS makes no registry changes and it does not create any permanent files/folders. It's primary purpose is detection of malware in various areas and providing a detailed log to a trained malware removal Helper who can use the report to plan a strategy of attack.

After DDS completes a scan it will create 2 log files...DDS.txt and Attach.txt which open in Notepad and can be saved to the Desktop for user convenience. This is why helpers who provide instructions ask them to save to that location. Logs are automatically saved to the Local Settings\Temp folder by design.

DDS was removed from the Prep Guide and replaced with FRST, because DDS does not support Windows 8.1 so you cannot get it to run.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and detailed reply! :)

Yeah, DDS is a 'list-only' tool with no repair functionality, while FRST is both list and repair; I see the difference. :thumbup2:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 17 July 2015 - 06:16 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:03 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif