Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU usage monitoring and Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:06 AM

I have just installed on my W8.1 Tablet All CPU Usage Monitor, and started reading about CPU, Memory / RAM and Cores, etc. about which I know very little.  I would welcome comment and advice on a few early points.

1.  What is 'good' and what is 'bad' CPU usage?  I realise the answer will involve a lot of 'it all depends' but I hope there are some general guidelines to follow on what to expect (a) when few apps / programs are running and (B) when there is major usage.  Are there any grounds for being concerned if usage is shown as 100% from time to time?

2 . Why is there a consistent difference between what CPU Usage Monitor shows (backed up by readouts elsewhere in Windows) and what Task Manager shows.  While the Monitor reports usage usually fluctuating around 40% ---- at the same time Task Manager consistently shows it around 60%  

3. What is the % usage of my four Cores telling me? (ranging from 30% to 50% plus)

4. Why is it that when I am running my default browser, Chrome, Task Manager shows about 15 entries for Chrome plus an additional one for Chrome Portable (which is what I have installed) 

clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:58 AM

1.  100 percent usage all of the time during normal use is bad.  The exception would depend on your application, for example Handbrake will max out all 10 cores in my machine when re-encoding a video.  But if your getting 100 percent usage frequently doing normal takes a CPU upgrade may be in order.

2.  The difference in usage is probably due to how they measure and determine usage.

3.  The percentage used is how much of the total processing power is being used at that moment.  As stated in number one as long as you're not in the 90 to 100% doing normal tasks, you're fine.

4.  Chrome portable is the main application and the other entries are additional processes used by Chrome.

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

Thank for prompt response,  your points are that are helpful..

1. have not had 90% to 100% often, but as I said I have only just started looking ---- I will keep my eye on it for a while to identify trends

2. Yes, what puzzles me though is that the Usage Monitor figure is confirmed by figures from elsewhere in Windows (I cant remember where now but will look for it) and I would have thought Windows Task Manager would be the same

3. So it looks like my Cores at present are doing OK

4. Good --- when I just now ended Google Tasks one by one I got popups about Extensions crashing each time which confirms what you say. Google is not easy to close fully is it?

clayto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users