Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD>infinite restart>failed start>hang>voltage warnings.Rinse.Repeat.Help

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 findo

findo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:45 AM

This issue started some months ago when I was building a site for our wedding. I originally assumed that it was the effect of searching too liberally for stock photos. Several of said sites were seedy to say the least. The first symptom was a random reboot. I assumed either I had a virus or my drive was reaching max capacity since at this point I had several gigs of site materials (the ADD made me do it). So I cleaned things up a bit got rid of a few gigs of trash I wasn't going to use and attempted to run antiviral and malware software. The infinite restarts and BSOD (didn't get a picture yet but will take one if I see it again) made this difficult but I was finally able to get a clean run with MSE, Superanti-spyware, malware bytes, and spybot s&d. I also ran memory diagnostics but wasn't able to decipher the log output so I moved my work over to my wife's computer and went on my merry way too make my deadline.

Then came marriage and our new house and now I am trying to pick up the pieces. I had hoped the gremlins died on the drive over but alas I'm still getting restart (however I did manage to turn of the restart on crash etc)  three or four times before post and maybe 1/5th of the reboots that survive past login hang with some digitized crap( see attached image). It does appear to be slightly more staible and I haven't had a BSOD since setting up at the new house but the newest symptom appeared today with CPU PLL VOLTAGE, ICH VOLTAGE, DRAM BUS VOLTAGE and a few more that I wasn't able to catch. I've used a couple cans of compressed air trying to knock some of the dust from the fans and heatsinks of the PS, CPU, and graphics card but it could probably use more love. I will get to that tomorrow when I buy some more air. I've ran myself in circles long enough with my three ahha moments.. First I thought memory was faulty, then video card, and now I'm wondering if my power supply is failing. So I'm pretty sure this problem is out of my league, at least for the time I can afford. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm a little overwhelmed with this mess and the chaos of unpacking. Thanks in advance.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jmAxwUMuyNkaZiGdft0f8LK

· OS - Windows 7 Ultimate
· x64 
· Same as above
· Full retain version
· Approximately 5 years old
· Age of OS installation - approximately 1.5 years since last clean install

· CPU - Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz Bloomfield 45nm Technology

· Video Card - 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
· MotherBoard - ASUSTeK Computer INC. Rampage III Formula (LGA1366)
· Power Supply - Corsair 750 W

· System Manufacturer - me
· Exact model number - me.v2

· Desktop

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

Cisco AnyConnect is disabled.  Please uninstall it.  Should you want to reinstall it after we're done, please download a fresh copy from the Cisco website.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 0903) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 234 Windows Updates installed.  Most systems have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

You have 3 hard drives.  What is the age of your Corsair 750 watt Power Supply?

MSI Afterburner (along with Riva Tuner and EVGA Precision) is known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

Please do not use CCleaner while we're troubleshooting

Pagefile is only 800mB in size, you'll have difficulty in capturing memory dumps.

Please reset the pagefile to the Windows recommended size (it's the "System managed size" setting).
http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/32471-disable-delete-recreate-paging-file-windows-8-7-a.html

Finally, while waiting for another BSOD, please do these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

When the system does BSOD, please locate the minidumps (in C:\Windows\Minidump), zip them up and upload them with your next post.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 findo

findo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:49 AM

Uninstalled - Cisco AnyConnect is disabled.  Please uninstall it.  Should you want to reinstall it after we're done, please download a fresh copy from the Cisco website.

According to the manufacturers website version 0903 is the most recent bios update - Your UEFI/BIOS (version 0903) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

I had recently done 3 new batches of updates but I will continue to check on this. At this time there are no new updates. I've left it on automatic update. - Only 234 Windows Updates installed.  Most systems have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

The power supply was part of the original build so 5 or 6 years old. Probably about time for a replacement. Should I go ahead and order one? Amazon has a sale atm and can get that ordered while I work on the rest of this. - You have 3 hard drives.  What is the age of your Corsair 750 watt Power Supply?

Uninstalled. Not sure why this was even installed. - MSI Afterburner (along with Riva Tuner and EVGA Precision) is known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

I was overclocking but set my bios and the clocking software back to default values before my original post - If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

Heard - Please do not use CCleaner while we're troubleshooting

Pagefile is only 800mB in size, you'll have difficulty in capturing memory dumps.

Done, the other partitions should not have a pagefile correct? - Please reset the pagefile to the Windows recommended size (it's the "System managed size" setting).
http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/32471-disable-delete-recreate-paging-file-windows-8-7-a.html

Still no BSOD but I will get this last bit finished in the AM. I will post results immediately. Thanks for your help with this - Finally, while waiting for another BSOD, please do these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

When the system does BSOD, please locate the minidumps (in C:\Windows\Minidump), zip them up and upload them with your next post.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:37 AM

PSU's sometimes lose power over time.  This is a judgement call on your part.  At work we test the system by replacing the PSU and seeing what happens.

Should you purchase a PSU, be sure to purchase it from a place that will let you return it if it's not needed.

No need for a pagefile on the other partitions.

Be sure to reboot after resetting the pagefile.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 findo

findo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:57 PM

Your windows update suspicions were correct. I've been updating constantly since my last post and I still have some updates it appears. I have been having some difficulties progressing through these updates. They hang for hours and I'm hesitant to restart during an install that specifically tells me not to restart or turn off during installation. If it doesn't hang I am getting more of the digitized crap I mentioned earlier. Still no BSOD though. I've only had one voltage drop since my first post so there seems to be a steady progression. I am going to order a new power supply while I work through all these updates. Do you have a recommendation on wattage I should purchase? The 750 is fine for what I am working with right? Thanks

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

I like Seasonic PSU's - but haven't purchased one in 3 or 4 years.

Post over in the hardware/system builiding forums for some more expert advice.

When I ask about your PSU, all I look at is the number of hard drives.  If there's 3 or more, then I ask for make/model/wattage and age of the PSU.

Beyond that, there's too many variables to say anything exactly.  I would hazard a guess that a good PSU rated at 750 watts should be adequate for the average system with 3 hard drives - BUT, this depends on other components also.

Edited by usasma, 19 July 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#7 findo

findo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

Did some digging and found that my PSU is still under warranty. I put in a RMA request, waiting to hear back from Corsair. Should I run all the diagnostics after getting windows update caught up or should I wait for the new/refurbished PSU? 

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:42 AM

You can go ahead and run the diagnostics now - it'll save time while you're waiting for the new PSU.

If anything fails, don't replace anything until you test with the new PSU in place

Good luck!

#9 findo

findo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

Ok. I'll run the diagnostics and then send off the the PSU for RMA. I might have to wait until I get the replacement to get the rest of the windows updates....they are still coming in strong.

#10 findo

findo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

Sorry I've been absent. I couldn't get any of the testing completed with constant hang or restart. I decided to just send in the PSU. The first one they sent me was a dud, wouldn't even power on. This new one seems to be doing well. Unfortunately the problems are still present. I'm now making another attempt at doing the testing you prescribed before. Hope I can get some results this time.

On another note, while reading through my motherboard manual I noticed there is a O-LED designated for the different stages of boot. It at least appears that when the comp restarts when trying to boot that it gets hung up at the DRAM LED. I will run the memory testing first if possible. Thanks again for your help with this.

#11 findo

findo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:05 PM

I started Memtest86+ yesterday approximately 24 hours ago. I have 24 G of RAM but I'm beginning to suspect it is running on a loop. When I got off work it was at Pass: 90 percent and Test 80 percent. It is now at 45% and 42% but the state still says running. I apologize if this is in the reading material, I will look it over again after my shift tomorrow.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:58 AM

Try running Prime95.  If the RAM has problems, often Prime95 will spit out errors even if MemTest doesn't.

But understand that running MemTest on 24 gb of RAM is going to take a while - that's a whole lotta RAM!

#13 findo

findo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:53 AM

Will do. It does seem to be running and I shows that it has found errors and the number is increasing. Right now it says Pass: 7 and Errors 1076224. Is pass the number of times the test has completed a run? If so how many passes would you recommend? 7 seems a bit excessive but this is the first time using this test. Thanks usasma!

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:54 AM

There's been a lot of discussion about how many passes to run - mostly balancing the accuracy of the test against the time required.

In general, a Pass consists of 7 to 13 individual tests (depends on the actual MemTest that you're running).

At work we once ran 69 passes and found 1 error.  Some of us suggest 3 passes, other techs suggest 7 - see the next paragraph to see who's right.....

The point here is what's acceptable and what's not acceptable.

If the lone error occurs (for example) in your checkbook - there's really not a huge problem if it affects the pennies column

But what if it affects the thousands of pounds/dollars column?  That's much more significant!

Then it comes to a point where you have to decide - what to replace and how much to spend.

Next, what good will it be to tell you that there's only 100 errors or that there's more than 1,000,000 errors?
At work, we let the test spit a decent amount of errors - then we just stop it (because it just won't get any better).  That does save time.

Finally, if you're testing all the sticks at once, then you'll have to test the sticks individually.

And then test the slots with one of the sticks that tested good.

Edited by usasma, 01 September 2015 - 05:56 AM.

#15 findo

findo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:31 AM

So I had 100000 plus errors in 14 passes with all my memory. I'm now testing each stick, which moves much faster but will require a few days. The single stick I'm using now is on pass 4 with 0 errors! I'll update when something changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users