Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to speed up old weak PC?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 voltrex

voltrex

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:44 AM

Hi,

i have an old PC with

2gb RAM,

Pentium dual core cpu,

Intel graphics  

Windows 7 32bit.  

This pc will be used only for Office Word, web browsing and Skype..   (not videos games. )

While he is working fine he is super slow from times to times due to his age. 

I was thinking about doing some upgrades to speed him up a little by adding:

4 gb ram

64 gb SSD. 

maybe a GPU. 

and of course moving to Win x64.   

Now will any of this will speed the computer a little bit? at  simple tasks which do not require any special power. 

thank you,

voltrex. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:43 AM

I would go with the 4gb of ram and a 64gb SSD.

You would probably need to tie it to the desk following that....

GPU....not sure about that...depending on cost vs benefit, it could also be a good move....if you have the spare cash....go for it

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 voltrex

voltrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:54 AM

Okay got it. 

I was a little bit worried that the CPU is the biggest draw back and any thing extra will be bottle neck -ed by it. 

thanks, i will do it asap. 

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:05 AM

RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.  4GB is fine, 8GB would be better, if the machine can handle it.  Check on how much RAM the machine will allow you to install before you buy.

I'd also recommend a larger SSD, 120GB at a minimum.  Anything less than 120GB and you could find yourself constantly having to make room.  SSD prices have really come down and you should be able to pick up 120GB for a decent price.  One concern would be the drive interface on the PC.  I don't know how many IDE SSD drives are out there.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

^^ What killroy said... There are no IDE SSD drves.  The interface is too slow.  Do you know what kind of motherboard you have?  You will need an SATA port if you want to run an SSD .. and you indeed want 120GB min.  (bigger if you can) 250GB You might be able to find an external USB 2.0 SSD but again you won't really be taking advantage of the speed capability of an SSD without an SATA interface.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

To start with the biggest improvment would be the SSD, an amazing boost.  Up the ram is second 4g is decent for what you want to do, if your machine is capable to run 64 bit OS then 8g ram.  GPU maybe not a thriller on my list, even my mini laptop with a 1.6 Atom and 2g ram laptop does not have one, it does all you speak of.  Start with an SSD you will more than likely be quite surprised, your boot time and program load will be cut dramatically.

Post make and model that will tell us a lot!!!!

Edited by OldPhil, 16 July 2015 - 08:40 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 voltrex

voltrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:16 AM

Sorry,  actually 120gb and 60gb SSD are the same price.. so i will buy the 120gb.  

Also wii the RAM DDR3 800mhz vs 1600mhz make any difference in performance for such simple tasks?

thanks,

Edited by voltrex, 16 July 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:27 AM

An SSD will be the only positive item that can be moved to another system down the road.  SSD size questionable depending on how many programs you will load, my pick would be a 120 try that first it may be all you want.  All of this depends on your needs which IMO the SSD will do it.

Just did a quick search 120's are going for about $60.

https://www.google.com/search?q=120+gig+ssd&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Edited by OldPhil, 16 July 2015 - 09:33 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:39 AM

Also wii the RAM DDR3 800mhz vs 1600mhz make any difference in performance for such simple tasks?

Yes, you are looking right around 15% - 17% difference. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users