Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% Disk Usage???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JennyLynnGannon

JennyLynnGannon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:25 AM

I have recently purchased an Alienware Alpha, and the first couple of days that I had it, it ran like a dream, however tonight I noticed that everything was going extremely slow and not responding, I was also having trouble uninstalling things. I googled the issue and found out that many of people have had the issue caused by Windows 8.1. I tried to disable Superfetch, as well as Windows Search but there was no change, it was still 100%. I also tried fixing the RAM, is there any other way to fix this? Please help, I make the rookie mistake of not purchasing a warranty and now I am freaking out. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:00 AM

Greetings, JennyLynnGannon :)

Let's see if I can help you. First things first: does your operating system have an anti-virus software?

#3 JennyLynnGannon

JennyLynnGannon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

Not that I know of, I was just about to put one on but I didn't know which free antivirus was the best.

Edited by JennyLynnGannon, 16 July 2015 - 11:33 AM.

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:41 AM

Windows Defender is preinstalled on 8.1, and I've had good luck with it.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 JennyLynnGannon

JennyLynnGannon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

Windows Defender is preinstalled on 8.1, and I've had good luck with it.

So I do have an anti-virus, that means the issue is coming from something else, correct? 

#6 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

I believe Defender has to be activated, Search for Windows Defender in the search box...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#7 ImperialFish

ImperialFish

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hey there, I just had this problem myself. It seems that there is no one fix for high disk usage. It can be caused by a bunch of different things, so I'll give you the solution that worked for me:

1. Hit the windows key.
  2. Get to the search menu.
  3. Search "View Local Services" 
  4. Only one thing should pop up with a picture of a gear or something. Hit it.
  5. Find "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" on the list and stop it.
  6. Stop it by right clicking and selecting stop.

Seems my problems were caused because windows was having a heart attack finding update data or something. Being as you have a relatively new computer, this could be your problem as well. 

All disabling this thing does is prevent windows from doing automatic, passive updates and downloads. I personally don't like the idea of that anyway, so I'll be leaving it off. It shouldn't interfere with any future windows updates, you will just have to initiate them manually.

Good luck, and hope that helps!

Edit: Added a few quotes to make it more clear what to search.

Edited by ImperialFish, 16 July 2015 - 12:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users