Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my 2011 macbook pro worth keeping, still runs fast

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dinsure

dinsure

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:52 AM

I can't get the photobooth to work any longer. Can anyone tell me where to go to get it up and running?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:28 AM

https://support.apple.com/kb/TA40255?locale=en_US

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:43 AM

Which version of the Mac OS are you running? Is it still that same version that originally came with that Mac?

The basic solution to the PhotoBooth issue is to re-install the program. How to do that will depend on the two questions above.

As to whether or not the Mac is worth keeping, that is really something you need to decide. The basic question is: Does it still do what you need it to do? The corollary question is would a newer Mac/computer do the job better enough that it is worth the cost of a new Mac/computer? Those questions are really not something that someone else can answer for you as it will depend on what you need the computer to do for YOU as well as other factors that are related to how you perceive/do things.

#4 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

^^ What he said. Mine was new in '09 & aside from upgrading the OS to 10.6.8 (which I was told a couple of times in the Apple store is the highest I can go without significant slowdowns) it's running just fine for what i'm doing. I'm not willing to spend the thousands it would take for a new machine. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#5 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

I just refurbished a 2011 macbook pro (I'm using it now).  I sped that sucker up by replacing the hard drive with an SSD. the boot time went from 45 seconds to 15 seconds.  easy peasy.  and installed OSX yosemite.  nice.  of course, I only had a small SSD laying around to use, so i pulled out the DVD player and put in a second hard drive (large and roomy) in its place.  this laptop also ran super hot, (would idle at 60 - 70C) so I repasted teh CPU and GPU and now it idles at 38C.  niiiiiiicee and cooool. then i moved the user directory over to the second large drive to keep all the large files and applications over there. and am dual booting with windows 7, and running linux via parallels. ok, and replaced the keyboard (a few keys weren't working).  i needed to change a system value to have it read the external superdrive (the functionality is there but apple turns it off.)  it's quick and does what i need to.

except gaming.  macintosh sucks at gaming. period. even if the hardware is there, they limit it's functionality.  and there's no cooling.  horrible cooling. so gaming is awful on a mac laptop.  even if ithe game is actually supported on a mac.

so i'd say it depends on what you want to do with it.  honestly, you can keep it spiffy and useful for a long time (with all laptops really, regardless of make) with just a few tweaks.

ps - i should also add im running fan control software. depending on whether your model is an early or late 2011 macbook pro - the early and mid models had a real issue with lead-free solder melting if the laptop ran hot (think gaming, or not even that) which completely screwed up the laptop and it was impossible to fix. apple had a class action lawsuit over that one. so if your model isn't fixed for that, or may have that issue, then definitely consider repasting the cpu and 2 gpus and pay attention to cooling.

but they are nice laptops, so it just depends on if it works for you, and you can tweak it will just a little bit of effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users