Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading the ram on my Dell xps 630i

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 henry59

henry59

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:08 AM

I want to upgrade my ram from 4 to 8 gb. My older dell xps 630i is running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, graphics cards are 2 sli configured nVidia gtx 9800, I think it has an Intel Core 2 quad/nVidia nForce 650i. The problem is that my son loves playing final fantasy and he complains that it gets slow and bogs down. He wants some Kingston hyper x which I am agreeable to purchasing. I wonder if there is possibly better ram to purchase for this computer? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have googled this some and the folk at my630i.com suggested ocz blades which are unavailable. The max memory this has is 8192 mb. It has 4 slots so I can install 4 2 gb sticks. It will only run ddr2, pc2-6400, unbuffered, non-ecc, 1.8v, 256 meg ram x64, for factor udimm, ddr2 800, for a speed of 800 mts, and has 240 pins.

I figure I can't install ddr2-1066 because it is likely incompatible and would likely not boot. Is this correct??

I think ram is likely the quickest fix. Although you may have other ideas about that. If so please do suggest them. So let me know what brand ram I should buy. I also looked at and felt it may not be a trustworthy source. What do you think of the quality of ram at memorystock.com? Thank for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:57 AM

I want to upgrade my ram from 4 to 8 gb. My older dell xps 630i is running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, graphics cards are 2 sli configured nVidia gtx 9800, I think it has an Intel Core 2 quad/nVidia nForce 650i. The problem is that my son loves playing final fantasy and he complains that it gets slow and bogs down. He wants some Kingston hyper x which I am agreeable to purchasing. I wonder if there is possibly better ram to purchase for this computer? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have googled this some and the folk at my630i.com suggested ocz blades which are unavailable. The max memory this has is 8192 mb. It has 4 slots so I can install 4 2 gb sticks. It will only run ddr2, pc2-6400, unbuffered, non-ecc, 1.8v, 256 meg ram x64, for factor udimm, ddr2 800, for a speed of 800 mts, and has 240 pins.

I figure I can't install ddr2-1066 because it is likely incompatible and would likely not boot. Is this correct??

I think ram is likely the quickest fix. Although you may have other ideas about that. If so please do suggest them. So let me know what brand ram I should buy. I also looked at and felt it may not be a trustworthy source. What do you think of the quality of ram at memorystock.com? Thank for your help.

Henry,

I don't know if this would be the quickest fix, but it may be the cheapest fix at this time.

I found this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-SKILL-8GB-4-x-2GB-DDR2-SDRAM-1066-PC2-8500-F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK-Kits-Gaming-/181796294427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a53e74f1b

That's what I found in about 5 minutes of searching the RAM for this computer.

Yes, you can install DD2-1066 memory modules and the link above shows the DD2-1066 memory modules.

Edited by Buzzsaw, 16 July 2015 - 01:59 AM.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

This is the corsair memory compatible with your computer.

According to Dell

However, I am not sure that memory is your problem.  When you say it gets bogged down.. Is this an internet game?? Does the video slow down??  What exactly is your definition of ' bogged down '

I found this post on a thread:

"I went from two 8800GT's in SLI to a single GTX260. The single GTX 260, while having a lower maximum FPS, was able to maintain a much higher minimum and average FPS due to the fact that .. it isn't SLI."

That thread is from 2009 ... Your video card/s are horridly out of date for todays games.

I am guessing your ' bogged down ' is the video card/s and if you picked up the very affordable 750TI you would see much more of an improvement (in gaming) than upping your memory,

I am Actually quite surprised by Buzz's post .. usually he gives good advice.  I am thinking he did not properly look over anything on your post or was too tired to post good information.  I also don't recommend getting computer parts from eBay unless you are looking for a part that is hard to find.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 16 July 2015 - 08:41 AM.

#4 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:58 AM

I am Actually quite surprised by Buzz's post .. usually he gives good advice.  I am thinking he did not properly look over anything on your post or was too tired to post good information.  I also don't recommend getting computer parts from eBay unless you are looking for a part that is hard to find.

Yeah,

Normally, I don't deal with eBay that often, but how many retail stores still carry that DDR2-1066 in their stock?

Not too many.

I am not 100% sold that increasing the RAM to the maximum will solve the problem, but it's the cheapest way, not necessarily the best way.

Don't be insulting me without getting further clarification from me. Assumptions will bite you in the rear end.

#5 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:04 AM

I will NEVER EVER recommend anyone to purchase stuff on Ebay unless you know and trust the seller, otherwise you just going to get scam for 100% sure. Amazon and Newegg still have DDR2-1066 RAM in stock, but what i find that Amazon have more in stock compare to Newegg

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/190-3014137-1315624?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=+DDR2-1066

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=DDR2-1066&N=-1&isNodeId=1

#6 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

I will NEVER EVER recommend anyone to purchase stuff on Ebay unless you know and trust the seller, otherwise you just going to get scam for 100% sure. Amazon and Newegg still have DDR2-1066 RAM in stock, but what i find that Amazon have more in stock compare to Newegg

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/190-3014137-1315624?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=+DDR2-1066

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=DDR2-1066&N=-1&isNodeId=1

What you are NOT telling everyone is that it might be the Amazon is *fullfilling* the order, but it's being sold by an online seller (i.e. Komputerbay). Those Amazon sellers have feedback ratings that are similar to eBay sellers.

You can still get scammed if you order stuff from Amazon.com, especially in this kind of situation. Do not kid yourself.

It's not any different from eBay.

#7 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:48 AM

What you are NOT telling everyone is that it might be the Amazon is *fullfilling* the order, but it's being sold by an online seller (i.e. Komputerbay). Those Amazon sellers have feedback ratings that are similar to eBay sellers.

You can still get scammed if you order stuff from Amazon.com, especially in this kind of situation. Do not kid yourself.

It's not any different from eBay.

Amazon is whole different from eBay, i bought a 16GB MicroSD flash memory from komputerbay and never get scam. As matter of fact, i bought tons of stuffs on Amazon and i never get scam. Unlike ebay, i got scammed $25 which is not big a deal, and i was reckless as well bought a cheap 8GB RAM, after that i received nothing but just a shipping box with a picture of the RAM.

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 16 July 2015 - 10:54 AM.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:17 AM

@Buzz.. I did not insult you .. If you feel you have been insulted it is your own guilty conscience for passing out incomplete advice.  I sometimes do that too.. but you can't fault me for calling you out.  I am not about to get into some squabble over this.  I made my statements and stand by them. 

As for eBay being like amazon- You couldn't be farther from the truth.  Although Amazon items may not be sold by amazon they are most definitely usually sold by companies and not by 'bidding' individuals from places found on eBay.  You most decidedly are liable to get a used product on eBay than if you buy ' NEW ' on Amazon.  eBay is an auction site and Amazon is an eCommerce site.  Can you get used off Amazon ? Yes you can.  Which is why when it comes to computer parts I recommend buying from Newegg or the memory manufacter'er's websitte .. ie: Gskill ... Crucial .. Kingston .. Please don't start cluttering this thread with squabbling posts.

#9 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:18 AM

4gb of ram is realistically enough for almost any older game.  What Final Fantasy game is he playing? There is many.  Perhaps knowing which game he is playing will allow a better judgement of the whole situation. 

#10 henry59

henry59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:23 PM

He plays final fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn with the Heavens Ward expansion. He says the internet is fine and it is laggy.

Thanks for all the response. I'm considering an nVidia video card like the 750ti. What would you think about the gtx 970?

#11 henry59

henry59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

I also like the loos of the gskill ram although I will only do one upgrade at a time.
My son and I are planning on building a computer using 2 gtx 970. I know this isn't the place for it but it does affect what cards and ram we end up buying. So suggestions around a build using the 2 gtx 970 graphics cards would be great.

#12 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

I also like the loos of the gskill ram although I will only do one upgrade at a time.
My son and I are planning on building a computer using 2 gtx 970. I know this isn't the place for it but it does affect what cards and ram we end up buying. So suggestions around a build using the 2 gtx 970 graphics cards would be great.

Drop the 2 GTX 970, and get the 2 R9 390, because R9 390 beat GTX 970 on higher resolution and what is your budget? 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 17 July 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#13 henry59

henry59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

We won't have the money to buy everything at once. We plan on buying a part every month or two so we can afford something better. So we don't have an exact budget. I imagine between $1000 & $2000. Is the gtx 760 ti better than the recommended gtx 750 ti? I will consider the suggestion of the other card versus the gtx 970 but that purchase is a bit down the road from here.
We won't have the money to buy everything at once. We plan on buying a part every month or two so we can afford something better. So we don't have an exact budget. I imagine between $1000 & $2000. Is the gtx 760 ti better than the recommended gtx 750 ti? I will consider the suggestion of the other card versus the gtx 970 but that purchase is a bit down the road from here.

#14 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:30 AM

@Buzz.. I did not insult you .. If you feel you have been insulted it is your own guilty conscience for passing out incomplete advice.  I sometimes do that too.. but you can't fault me for calling you out.  I am not about to get into some squabble over this.  I made my statements and stand by them. 

As for eBay being like amazon- You couldn't be farther from the truth.  Although Amazon items may not be sold by amazon they are most definitely usually sold by companies and not by 'bidding' individuals from places found on eBay.  You most decidedly are liable to get a used product on eBay than if you buy ' NEW ' on Amazon.  eBay is an auction site and Amazon is an eCommerce site.  Can you get used off Amazon ? Yes you can.  Which is why when it comes to computer parts I recommend buying from Newegg or the memory manufacter'er's websitte .. ie: Gskill ... Crucial .. Kingston .. Please don't start cluttering this thread with squabbling posts.

What you consider incomplete advise is of your own opinion and no one else.

You're the one that started cluttering this thread with squabbling posts by insulting me.

If you are bound to insult me and everyone else that you don't agree with, then there's a larger issue at play with you.

#15 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:01 AM

What you consider incomplete advise is of your own opinion and no one else.

You're the one that started cluttering this thread with squabbling posts by insulting me.

If you are bound to insult me and everyone else that you don't agree with, then there's a larger issue at play with you.

"I am Actually quite surprised by Buzz's post .. usually he gives good advice.  I am thinking he did not properly look over anything on your post or was too tired to post good information.  I also don't recommend getting computer parts from eBay unless you are looking for a part that is hard to find." quote from YeahBleeping

How is that insult? It's not making any sense that he state you did not properly look over anything and disagree getting computer parts on Ebay. As normal users they rather purchase parts either from Newegg,Amazon, or manufacturer. Just because YOU think is insult that doesn't means it will apply to everyone, If you just come here and thinking everybody say something to you or disagree something is insult then i rather you go somewhere else and stop being a self centered prick.For instance, you state " You should get GTX Titan X for this build" and i'm going to be like " I disagree, you should get GTX series" Woah, just because i disagree that prove i'm insulting you? Everyone comes here to learn something, if they disagree then prove to them why you are right and why you choose it so the folk can decide. As matter of facts, you report my earlier post on other thread thinking i'm insult you or hurt your feeling because i say " This specs makes me laugh my butt off, and almost facepalm myself. Just no, just no". How is that insult? I can't laugh or facepalm? What mate?

If you think you are been insult, don't even bother waste your time to take up spaces on this thread by posting something that are not related to the thread discussion, just report the post and let the moderator handle it.

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 18 July 2015 - 06:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users