Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted window file- now nothing works

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 abackpacker

abackpacker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:27 AM

I recently deleted the contents of C:\Window\winsxs\pending.xml (don't ask)and now find that not only can I not access the internet but access to control panel and so many other links like Network, Computer, etc are no longer possible. I keep getting 'This application has failed to start because urlmon.dll was not found....problem'.
My search online lists a number of remedies but the main recommendation involves downloading urlmon but this requires internet.
At the moment I can only access word and excel documents.
Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:41 AM

Download it on another machine and then transfer it to your troubled one. Another idea is run sfc /scannow from safemode. 

#3 abackpacker

abackpacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:54 AM

Thanks for your help blarg. I have run sfc/scannow as you have suggested but all I get is 'a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete'. I have restarted the computer but this same message appears.
Re: download and transfer from one system to the troubled one is it possible to explain how this can be done? I am unfamiliar with computers and my children aren't with me over the next few days to help me out.
Thanks again

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:17 AM

I suggest not to download missing DLL files from online. You cannot be assured they are the files untampered.
<removed>

BTW, have you right clicked the folder > properties > previous versions?
It seems your configuration file got corrupted or removed. That doesn't mean DLL is missing.
Do you have a windows disc to do repair?

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 16 July 2015 - 01:20 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

abackpacker..... does Windows boot up or not?  If it does, can you access the Start button, lower left corner of your screen? If you can, click on it; does the small dialog box pop up with "Search Programs and files" in gray letters?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

- DO NOT touch the files in the "C:\Windows\winsxs" folder !!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER !!!!!!!!!! If you want to reduce the amount files in that folder then use ONLY the build-in Disk Clean Up Tool !!!!!!

- "Pending.xml" is related to "Windows Update" and tells Windows what changes are "Pending".

- Try Tweaking's Windows Repair and make sure you run - at least - "17-Repair Windows Update".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Follow the instructions provided (Backup the registry + make System Restore Point), Disable internet & anti virus before running the program in Safe Mode. Should take less than 30 minutes in total.

#7 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

Download it on another machine and then transfer it to your troubled one. Another idea is run sfc /scannow from safemode.

Do not do this, each pending.xml file will be different depending on the current pending transactions.

If there is a file that is missing, SFC will be able to detect it.

SFC /SCANNOW

• Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button. Inside the search box type in CMD
  • Right click on CMD => Choose Run as Administrator
  • Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command SFC /SCANNOW
  • Please wait for this to Finish before continuing with the rest of the steps.

Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt

• Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button => Inside the search box copy and paste the following command:
    cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • Press Enter
  • Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Please upload CBS.txt to this thread

Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to your next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

#8 abackpacker

abackpacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:19 AM

Hi, apologies for the late reply. Thanks to all for your assistance. With your help I was able to rectify the problem. In the end as blarg and Go the Power (go Blues) suggested, running SFC/SCANNOW did the trick. Words can't describe my excitement when it worked. Especially as I had no idea what I was doing.
Once again thank you all for you help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users