Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Computer Good,?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

Hello, i am going to bulid this machine can i ask will it work when i put it all toghter? And there all compatable thanks in advanced

Intel Celeron D 330J 2.66Ghz Socket 775 FSB533 256kb Cache Retail Boxed CPU With Fan and 3 Year Warranty
http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/77751

Ebuyer 512MB DDR PC2100 266MHz Extra Value RAM
http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/26878

Maxtor 6L080L0 Plus 10 80GB 7200RPM ATA/133 2MB Cache - OEM
http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/99727

Biostar P4M80-M7 SKT775 VIA P4M800 Chipset DDR400 AGP S3 UniChrome integraged graphics MATX
http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/98190

Casecom KL-700ATX Black Midi Tower Case With 350W PSU
http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/90874

Can ask when the harddrive says OEM what does that mean? Does this mean windows is preinstalled?
Also will this computer be fast. I just want to watch some DVDs some word documents nothing fancy.

Thank you very much for your help

Edited by Qas, 10 July 2006 - 08:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:24 PM

Updated all the links as posted the wrong ones before

#3 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:35 PM

Hello :thumbsup:

First of all, every looks like its compatible.. however...

What do you plan on using this computer for? The hard drive is very small for today's standards, and the 2mb cache isn't so hot either. The integrated graphics on the motherboard are outdated, you will want more ram, and I would never trust a case/PSU that costs 13 euros for both...

I suppose if all this is meant for is word processing and casual internet surfing, it will be fine. I recommend you take a second look at some other options. Perhaps if you told us the purpose(s) of this machine we could help steer your in the direction of affordable, quality components :huh:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:06 AM

For watching DVDs and school\work you should be fine. I would increase the RAM from 512Mb to at least 1Gb. The RAM. Hmmm. Most newer higher speed RAM (PC3200) is backwards compatible and if you decide to upgrade to a newer system later it may still be compatible. Plus there is not any price deference.
I would also have two hard drives. One for your Operating System (XP) and programs, and a second one for Data, M3s, and all creative work. In the event of a C: drive failure your unreplaceable files should be safe. Also if you had to reinstall XP you would not have to move your file from C: drive to CD\DVD or another hard drive.
I agree with TheEmuRider, you would receive better performance from a drive with a larger cache. 8Mb of cache it fairly common now. OEM by and large means it does not come in a pretty retail box and does not come with the extras like software, cable, and the full factory warranty. I wold purchase a Seagate or a Maxtor drive. I have had very good luck with them. I would go with a 60Gb as my primary hard drive and a 100Gb+ as my second drive. It is up to you if you can afford this but $50 now verse the headache later of trying to save or move your data to a second disk anyways. NO IT DOES NOT COME WITH WINDOWS!!! Not being rude, just clear. you will have to buy XP separately. Go with Pro, although I prefer Windows 2000 Pro.

More RAM, 512Mb to 1 Gb.
Faster RAM for the same price.
2 drives instead of one.
You will need to buy XP Pro.
That is what I would recommend.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:27 AM

what about this for the hardrive then?
http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/99728/rb/20360371963

I will later on buy another hard drive for now i want to stay with this. I already have a copy of windows xp home.

http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/63128/rb/20360542909 Is this ok for the ram thanks for the help!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

I am not familiar with you moneys so I do not know if that is a good price. At the right price I would be comfortable with both.

#7 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:15 PM

What do you plan on using this computer for?

I Was gonna ask the same Most important question 2nd question Whats your Budget

Intel Celeron D 330J 2.66Ghz Socket 775 FSB533 256kb Cache No Comment as i use AMD

Ebuyer 512MB DDR PC2100 266MHz Extra Value RAM I agree with acklan esp if you want it for Gaming

Maxtor 6L080L0 Plus 10 80GB 7200RPM ATA/133 2MB Cache - OEM No Problem with size or speed for Most things

Biostar P4M80-M7 SKT775 VIA P4M800 Chipset DDR400 AGP S3 UniChrome integraged graphics MATX MATX = MICRO ATX designed for little cases (Shoe Box's) now about the case INTEGRATED VIDEO naff however it does have AGP slot so your Not limited

Casecom KL-700ATX Black Midi Tower Case With 350W PSU

Thickness of steel:0.6mm

STEEL :thumbsup: Aluminum is what you want :huh: Cools Quicker

I'd avoid it I made the mistake of buying a "value" case once ONCE There NASTY Even with everything inside it Still flexed.
So if you move it a lot you could end up causing damage to components plus you'll probarbly lasserate your hands on the burrs while assembling

You will need to buy XP Pro.

ONLY if he/she plans on running BOTH machines, if Not, you can use the Licence Key to your exising Xp if you got it.(there are ways of finding it)
Don't Forget Qas ONE Licence ONE copy :huh: If you plan on using BOTH macines acklan is spot on

Be Sure and use Eraser on your OLD HDD
K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#8 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:45 PM

Perhaps you all might explain why he/she should go with XP Pro rather than Home? (For my personal knowledge as well =) )

#9 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:59 PM

thanks AmBush. No i already have a high spec machine intel dual core @ 3.2ghz 2gb ddr2 ram.

I buliding this 1 for a freind. lol this will be too slow for me.

Biostar P4M80-M7 SKT775 VIA P4M800 Chipset DDR400 AGP S3 UniChrome integraged graphics MATX is the intrgarted gfx ok. Will i get a good resoultion onit?

#10 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:48 PM

TBH I Couldn't tell ya Am an nVIDIA person But here's a snippet from the VIA Sales pitch

The VIA UniChrome Pro IGP graphics core also features the Chromotion CE Video Display Engine, raising the bar for digital entertainment support on PC systems. The P4M800 Pro is able to deliver the Hi-Def experience via a comprehensive range of display devices, supporting outputs to CRT, LCD, standard definition TV and HDTV up to 1080p resolution*.

The Chromotion CE Video Display Engine employs a multi-faceted approach to displaying multimedia content, implementing a number of advanced tools at every stage of video processing. These include integrated MPEG-2 decoding, for flawless digital video playback with ultra-low CPU-utilization, and advanced rendering tools such as Adaptive De-Interlacing and Video Deblocking, which ensure clearer playback of digital content on all display devices.

It Sounds ok :thumbsup: But they would build it up Read Full Article Here

One of the results of my Google, MSI PM8M2-V Board VERY Similar in design uses VIA P4M800/VT8237 Chipset I Have used MSI For a about 8 years now :huh: Check it out Here Also shown a MATX Board in a ATX Chassis

K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:28 PM

Perhaps you all might explain why he/she should go with XP Pro rather than Home? (For my personal knowledge as well =) )

It has several features that XP HE does not have. The one I require is setting policies. I never surf or download or use my computer in Admin mode. I have a Limited Account setup. This, I feel, give me an edge if my computer becomes infected. I have so many safe guards that I have yet to rely on this feature, but it's there if I were to need it. I also, at one time used IIs to, host a web page from my cable modem. XP HE does not have this program installed.
The differences are not much by most user's needs, but I expect and require them.

I know this is the company propaganda but you may find it informative.. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/ho.../choosing2.mspx

#12 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:14 AM

thanks acklan :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users