Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keyboard not working after replacement

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rebekah224

Rebekah224

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:18 PM

I spilled tomato soup on my laptop almost a year ago and the keyboard died. I disassembled it and clean all of the soup out but the keyboard does not work. Luckily, it is a touch screen so I can use the computer still, but not for much typing and I am going to need that more now. I bought a replacement keyboard and installed it and the keys make a sound from the computer speakers, but there is no indication of any keys being hit on the screen. Can I fix this or should I start looking for something new?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:14 PM

Temporarily, until you get the problem resolved, you could try hooking up an external USB powered keyboard. That should get you up & running again until further help arrives.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:48 PM

I would go and double check the connection to the motherboard.  These cables are very finicky and can often lead to frustration.  Also if the tomato soup penetrated further it may have caused a short in the motherboard.  When you take the keyboard out again, look really closely at what's beneath it.  Look for any black spots or left of soup. 

#4 Rebekah224

Rebekah224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:18 PM

Unplugged and rep lugged in the keyboard 3 more times and it didn't help do I started unscrewing everything to get a better look at the motherboard and there weren't any black spots so I put it all back together and tried one more time plugging in the new keyboard and low and behold it worked!!!! Just had to keep trying. Thank you!!!

#5 Rebekah224

Rebekah224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

I spoke too soon. The keyboard works for logging on to my computer but as soon as I'm logged on it doesn't work anymore. The keys all make a response sound from the speakers when I click on them, they just don't appear on the screen anywhere!!! HELP!!!

#6 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

Pull up the start menu, then right click on computer, click manage.  Then go to the device manager. Look for yellow "?".  If there is any for the keyboard that could be a problem. However, that is unlikely.  With it working then not it sounds very intermittent and that would seem to be more likely a motherboard problem caused by the water damage. Does it work if you plug a usb keyboard into it?

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:53 PM

You shouldn't run it at all. The keyboard and motherboard is shorting out in there and you risk blowing something else out. The keyboard is a gonner. Basically they are made up of multi layered plastic sheets and rubber membranes in there. Running power through it with liquid in there you are causing shorts and electrolysis. The silver contact circuitry in there will quickly corrode. Take it to a shop. Unless you're savy enough to do it yourself. You need to buy a new keyboard. The rest of the computer needs to be stripped down to just motherboard cpu/gpu heatsinks everything removed if possible and inspect it. Sometimes if it's really bad you have to wash the motherboard with soap and distilled water. Then let it dry a bit and then give it a isopropyl alcohol bath. Let it Air dry again.

#8 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:05 AM

This is the replacement keyboard. 

#9 Rebekah224

Rebekah224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:13 AM

The replacement keyboard I installed is not working, I've been using the computer without a keyboard for a year and it has never had anything else wrong with it. I stripped it down to the motherboard and cleaned it right after it happened, but the keyboard was fried so now I have a new one that I put in and it's not working.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:20 AM

Double check the hookups under it.

#11 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:20 AM

It is possible that the slot is actually your problem.  It could have been damaged during the spill and now working intermittently. Also once in a while you can be sent a bad keyboard too.  You could see about returning it and getting another. 

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:28 AM

It could be components on the motherboard itself are now starting to fail caused by direct shorts like that. Since they are tiny components it could be anything. Worse case scenario motherboard replacement. It could be something simple still the strap not hooked up to the keyboard all the way.

#13 Rebekah224

Rebekah224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

Ok so now I hold a key, it clicks once and does nothing, but if I keep holding it it clicks again and appears on the screen

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users