Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use Win10 Office except for Office 365?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

Click here for the Computerworld article.

Please opine.  If this is true, it's the death knell for Win10, because most people don't want Office 365.  But then Computerworld is known for writing clickbait.  Opine, please?  I have no opinion, or else a contrary one, because of the thurott article, click here.  LOOK AT THE ARTICLE COMMENTS, too.

Why those comments?  Look at this quote in the article (I bolded the key clause): "There are a few changes to the apps coming up that are part of helping them get ready for their release with Windows 10," Aul wrote. "We will also remove 'Preview' from the app names and in about one week, you will need an Office 365 subscription to edit on Windows 10 PCs and larger tablets."

That goes against the above 'click here' Mr. Aul wrote showing MS Office 95 installed in Win10At issue: can we install prior MS Office on Win10 and use it, or are we required to buy Office 365, now?  Hence, the angered comments in the Computerworld article.

Compare with this new Ed Bott article in ZDnet.  Ed is known for being an MSFT fanboy.

My beefs with MS are limited to the restrictions on the interface, 'sharing', and the too-many-arcane-hidden settings.  Just to be clear, this is not an anti-MS post, but a wtf on the Computerworld article;  for Mr. Aul's statement is alarming. 

Seeking input, if you are willing.  Thank you!

Edited by brainout, 15 July 2015 - 08:22 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

Well, I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable regarding PCs, and I found the article a bit confusing--I have a feeling my clients are going to be totally baffled.

I suspect this will add fuel to the "keep what's working now and don't get any of the new stuff" argument.  Most folks I know don't want a monthy subscription fee for this sort of thing.  Netflix, sure, but Excel, no.  (In my opinion, Office 2013 is a really bad product, and in my paranoid view, it was made so precisely to drive people to 365 in frustration.  It isn't working that well, though.)

#3 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:27 PM

@BeckoningChasm (what a great nick):  D'accord, re Office 2013.  A Win7 64-bit machine I just bought used, has it.  The glare alone is just begging for a lawsuit over eye damage.  Compound that with the ribbon, and dang.

I will never ever understand why MSFT makes such daft interface changes.  That, and its licensing policies, are THE two most dysfunctional things about it. Plus, the lack of being able to restore/reinstall easily.  This is why people stay on the old, too.  So to now make it subscription, which of itself doesn't bother me, the interface is my objection -- to make it a subscription, will make many leave.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:16 PM

The major problem with 2013 Office (at least as I encounter it) is that any kind of troubleshooting eventually goes to "uninstall, then reinstall" which is not how I like to fix minor issues.  And if you do the major repair option in Control Panel, better have your code ready...

I feel more and more that it's really supposed to drive folks to 365.  It's too clunky and unforgiving to be mere bad programming. 

I haven't seen any of the Office 10 apps yet--they would have to be better, I'd think--but all this talk of subscriptions and such has me hesitant to leap in. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users