Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted ALL partitions. How do I recover windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 zellersko

zellersko

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

In an attempt to restore my windows to factory settings I deleted all partitons because it said a certain partition was missing. I used Gparted to delete every partition but mistakenly didnt make a usb recovery drive. Now I cant get past the BIOS screen. How do I recover windows? Please Help!! :smash: :smash: :smash:

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2015 - 10:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

After you've deleted your partitions, there's no other way but to reinstall Windows.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

Are you trying to reinstall Windows or are you also trying to recover any data on the computer you had? If just trying to reinstall Windows 8 you can download the recovery media here. Pick the same version you had, home or pro. If your computer came with Windows 8 the the key is embedded in firmware and the install should pick up the key and activate.

Edit: If you deleted partitions with Gparted, it's still possible to recover your data either using Testdisk and if that fails using software recovery software like Easeus Data Recovery which will scan the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 July 2015 - 07:46 PM.

#4 zellersko

zellersko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

After you've deleted your partitions, there's no other way but to reinstall Windows.

Okay but my question is how do I reinstall windows?

#5 zellersko

zellersko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

Are you trying to reinstall Windows or are you also trying to recover any data on the computer you had? If just trying to reinstall Windows 8 you can download the recovery media here. Pick the same version you had, home or pro. If your computer came with Windows 8 the the key is embedded in firmware and the install should pick up the key and activate.

I'm just trying to reinstall windows. However, like I said, I can't get past the bios so I can't run that software.

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

Do you have a Windows disc? If not, you can download Windows off of the MS site after entering your key.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 zellersko

zellersko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

Do you have a Windows disc? If not, you can download Windows off of the MS site after entering your key.

No, I dont. Where would the key be located? Under my computer?

#8 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:49 PM

Just look all around your computer for a Windows key. Then you can go to the library or a place with public computers (bring your flash drive), download Windows with that key, then burn the .iso to that drive.

To properly burn an .iso, you need to do this: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200124.aspx

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:49 PM

You do not need a key. I downloaded the Windows 8.1 iso from the link I posted without providing any key. You may need the key when you install but I don't think so. If you do need to recover the key it can be done with a live linux distro.

Edit: Is this an OEM computer that came with Windows 8 installed?

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 July 2015 - 07:50 PM.

#10 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

There's a good idea, you can try using Linux...

#11 zellersko

zellersko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

You do not need a key. I downloaded the Windows 8.1 iso from the link I posted without providing any key. You may need the key when you install but I don't think so. If you do need to recover the key it can be done with a live linux distro.

See im on a vista computer and i cant "create media" on it because the software is designes for windows 8.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

Here is the method for recovering the key from the firmware tables using a live linux distro. But if I am correct, just download the iso file from the link I provided and boot the disk or USB flash drive. The link I provided will let you create a bootable disk, USB, or iso file. 

http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-retrieve-your-windows-8-oem-key-with-linux.28560/

http://superuser.com/questions/637971/how-do-i-get-out-my-embedded-windows-8-key-from-a-linux-environment

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

See im on a vista computer and i cant "create media" on it because the software is designes for windows 8.

I don't know about Vista but I just did it on a Windows 7 laptop a couple of weeks ago. Edit: Get somebody you know with Windows 7 or 8 to download it for you.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 July 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#14 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

You can create media on any OS, even XP.

#15 zellersko

zellersko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

This is an OEM computer that came with windows 8. Where do I download the iso windows file in that link?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users