Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All .exe programs set to default open with iTunes.. need to reset

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kcramer1

kcramer1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

Somehow I set all my .exe programs to oepn with iTunes. I've installed iTunes but still have to manually reset all the programs. I cannot system restore because that program isn't correctly linked either. I found a helpful solution here but I'm lost along the way and am not sure what to do once I have the regfix file downloaded to the desktop.

(http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/exe-file-association-windows-7-vista/)

Any help would be appreciated.

I think a problem is I cannot MERGE because it's saved as a .txt file and opens with Notepad. I cannot use regedit because it's not associated with the correct file and I also cannot use cmd prompt.

Edited by kcramer1, 15 July 2015 - 07:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

You download it by right clicking and then "Save target as" or "Save link as", saving it, launching it and then clicking "Yes" or "Accept" if any dialogs should appear.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 kcramer1

kcramer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, thanks. I was able to do the registry recommendation and I ran the file it said to download but nothing changed. Not able to system restore because it doesn't have the appropriate program associated with it either. Even in safe mode. :(

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:18 PM

Try RKill, it should reset the executable file assocation.

Choose the rkill.com from the three download buttons on the right.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

This thread is a little old, but if you still need help with your issue, try THIS registry fix instead.

Unzip the fix and extract the .reg file to the desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users