Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performed Advanced Recovery on old Alienware laptop now nothing works

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gamegirl

Gamegirl

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this problem, wasn't sure where to post.

So I have an ancient Alienware, at least 9 years old: M9700i-R1

It was going really slow and I decided to perform a system recovery as nothing else worked on the speed and there was nothing (other than Microsoft Office), that I wanted to keep. I used the Alienrespawn v2.0 and instead of choosing Microsoft recovery, the recommended method, I chose advanced recovery with a backup of everything-I think I didn't want whatever was slowing down the computer to transfer over to the factory install, ugh.

Anyway, laptop is fast now, except I can't do anything. Windows vista is about all I have but there is not internet explorer so I can't access the internet (did get wireless to connect).

The backup is on the Local Disk (D). When I try to load things from the backup I get different errors and can't. The device manager doesn't even show me what items need new drivers as they all apparently have the newest drivers available lol.

Not sure what to do now. I also have a System Recovery DVD v.2 for Vista home premium and a M9750 Vista support CD v1.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

If you can't get to internet explorer the normal way type in iexplore.exe into the run console. You can do this by typing run into your start menu.  If that brings up your internet explorer then you can make a shortcut by pinning it. 

#3 Gamegirl

Gamegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

If you can't get to internet explorer the normal way type in iexplore.exe into the run console. You can do this by typing run into your start menu.  If that brings up your internet explorer then you can make a shortcut by pinning it. 

It tells me: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

#4 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:02 PM

Oops darn vista. Ok right click on run this time and run as administrator.  Then do the same iexplore.exe

#5 Gamegirl

Gamegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

Oops darn vista. Ok right click on run this time and run as administrator.  Then do the same iexplore.exe

When I right click run there's no option to run as admin.

Another thing I should note: My C drive says "system reserved" and my D drive now says Local Disk and it's also the location where Alienrespawn decided to save the backup. There is nothing in C drive except Program files and all that contains is a windows media player folder which is empty. Yet the drive shows that it has 29.5 MB free of 99.9MB free. The Local drive (D) has 49.1 GB free of 148 GB.

#6 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

Do you have anything on the machine you don't want? If not I would recommend doing a fresh wipe and reload.  The problem will be the drivers.  Windows rarely has the drivers you need from a fresh install.  

#7 Gamegirl

Gamegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

Do you have anything on the machine you don't want? If not I would recommend doing a fresh wipe and reload.  The problem will be the drivers.  Windows rarely has the drivers you need from a fresh install.  

Only thing I want is Windows Office, I don't remember the key for that is. I guess I'll try the system recovery dvd with the OS and try again.

#8 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

Look up magic jelly bean, and or key finder they will help you find the key for office. We use it it in our shop all the time. 

#9 Gamegirl

Gamegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:59 PM

So now I'm getting this and it's not letting me install the OS to Partition 1, which I assume is the C drive.

20150715_195538.jpg

#10 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

Are you trying to do a full wipe or a restore? if your doing a full wipe you will need to delete all the partitions. 

#11 Gamegirl

Gamegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

Are you trying to do a full wipe or a restore? if your doing a full wipe you will need to delete all the partitions. 

Ah, okay, deleted and it's installing now, so we'll see how well this works.

#12 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

I would look up your model number and start downloading drivers now.  Otherwise you can use unknowndevice identifier to look up and download drivers individually when the os is on.  Hopefully network drivers will be supported. 

#13 Gamegirl

Gamegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

It worked! Installing drivers from the support disk now and can access the internet. Thank you, so much!

#14 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:33 PM

Awesome, also by doing it that way your machine will perform faster then the original load.  This is because there will be no extra software on it.  When you are done with all the updates (make sure to restart and check for me several times) then defrag your machine at least 5 times.  If you do that it will make windows run even faster yet. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users