Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SSD - how to move/re-direct AppsData to HDD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheEclipse

TheEclipse

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:55 PM

Hello everyone, I have an issue that I need help with...

I decided that I wanted to put my operating system onto an SSD and retain my old HDD for mass storage. I kept my files intact on my HDD and installed a fresh version of Windows onto my SSD. Needless to say it's been a royal pain in the butt to get every working again and I was almost there until I reached my Apps folder.

My SSD is only 128 gigabytes large and my Apps folder on the old HDD is 20 gigabytes large and contains mostly save data/junk from games. I do not want 20 gigabytes of random save data on the SSD and so I would highly prefer to have my Apps folders on the HDD instead. Of course, I found out that Windows doesn't want me to ever touch or move these folders...

I did a bit of google research and found that I could possibly re-direct the destination of the app folders to my HDD just like I did for the other library folders... Right click, properties, choose location and then select the place I want on the HDD... Which is one of my old Apps data folders (Roaming). Then restart the system. However, after the restart, the apps folder on the SSD still hasn't populated with the files from the HDD. Loading up one of my games that uses the app data folder - Dark Souls 2 revealed that my files weren't being redirected or loaded from the desired location on the HDD. It didn't seem to work, but I am still trying to verify.

There is a second part to all of this.

Reason I upgraded to SSD now is for the release of Windows 10. When Windows 10 comes out, I'm going to wipe my system and start fresh. However, I'd like to retain my game saves and personal data which I will move to a backup drive in the coming days. I suspect that when I install the new OS, that it will give me the option to put the app data onto my HDD partition... And If that's the case, then I can wait a few days to do so... But obviously, I don't know if it will actually allow me to do this or not.

Either way, dealing with this folder is starting to drive me a little crazy so I'd appreciate any advice! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

Are you using steam for games? Also what other kind of apps are you using.  It isn't always as simple as just reassigning the location.  Normally you have to reinstall applications and make sure to save them on the old hdd.  I would recommend copying everything you need to your ssd, then wiping the hdd.  Then make your own file system on the hdd.  This way you can have your own installs and not be confused on which is which. 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

You can clone your current hard drive partitions...or just your Windows partition...to the SSD.  That results in an exact copy of your current Windows install and applications (assuming that they were not installed on some other partition).. 

You can then simply delete the old Windows partition on the hard drive...use a partition manager to expand the storage space on the hard drive...and keep on doing whatever it is that you do on your system, with the SSD reflecting Windows and apps, while the hard drive is just storage.

Louis

#4 lpunker

lpunker

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

i've done this for a friend a while back, and i used "easeus todo backup"
the application is going to clone you whole startup drive.

#5 TheEclipse

TheEclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

Are you using steam for games? Also what other kind of apps are you using.  It isn't always as simple as just reassigning the location.  Normally you have to reinstall applications and make sure to save them on the old hdd.  I would recommend copying everything you need to your ssd, then wiping the hdd.  Then make your own file system on the hdd.  This way you can have your own installs and not be confused on which is which. 

Well, it has a lot of different kinds of junk in there. Steam games yes, but other misc items as well. I'm not sure what, but I know the file is just about 20 gb. I checked my Dark Souls II again today and found that changing the location now successfully loads the game from my HDD instead of the default app folder on the SSD. Of course, that's just one thing and I realize the others might not be so easy.

I suppose the long story short is that I don't want this app data, or any other data at all on my SSD in the near future. I want to keep it clean for windows 10 only. My plan is to have Windows 10 run from the SSD and have everything else run from the HDD. Its just that I've never done this before - had multiple partitions, so I'm very leery about how they work right now... 

So, from what I gather, what you're telling me is that installing my programs onto the HDD will put my app data (and of course, all other data) onto that partition? Because my plan is that once Windows 10 comes out, I was going to format my HDD so that it has nothing on it and then install the new OS onto my SSD. I have a third external HDD that I was going to move my save data and personal files onto... Then once I have Windows 10, I was going to migrate my save data and personal files back to the orignal HDD. Of course, at that point, I'll be installing applications properly. 

I didn't wipe my current HDD because I didn't see the sense of doing it twice in one month.

As for the other posts... I appreciate the advice but the SSD is too small to migrate my data over from the HDD and... the work is already done! I'm just trying to figure out the best way to fix my mess... I had a plan, but I didn't know about this app folder business. I just want my app folder on the partition drive... My work around with Dark Souls II is kind of a temporary fix (I hope). I suspect that I can put it on the partition drive easily once I get windows 10? Or whatever windows 10 uses as a windows 7 app folder equivalent? 

#6 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:40 PM

Yep sounds like a good plan.  Once you install Windows 10 wiping that hdd will be perfect.  You got it covered! Best luck. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users